Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 100 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking. Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing to provide senior lawyers in-house to organisations.
In 2016 we were delighted to have been nominated for the FT Innovative Lawyers award in the Innovation in Human Resources category for our rockhopper service. You can read more about the nomination in our press release.
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
- "They have always been absolutely first-class, not just in their advice but the way they manage the relationship. You feel like a valued client of the firm."
- "They are a genuine leader of the field." (Chambers 2017, Thames Valley)
Top pitfalls in drafting employment contracts - Cardiff23 November 2017
Ambiguous offer letters, verbal promises, incorporating policies and handbooks, missing key terms, unenforceable provisions…
Top pitfalls in drafting employment contracts15 November 2017
Ambiguous offer letters, verbal promises, incorporating policies and handbooks, missing key terms, unenforceable provisions.
What's happening in immigration law03 November 2017
As ever, there is much to discuss in the world of immigration law - including significant changes to Tier 2, the introduction of the immigration skills charge and the abolition of some of the Tier 2 ICT categories.
Mock mediation19 October 2017
Workplace mediation can be an effective way of nipping difficult issues in the bud, “resetting” dysfunctional working relationships, and resolving serious disputes without resorting to formal legal proceedings.
The Legal 500 ranks Lewis Silkin’s employment practice in the top tier again16 October 2017
Lewis Silkin has again achieved Legal 500 Tier 1 rankings for Employment: London and Employment: Thames Valley as well as retaining its ranking in Employment: Cardiff.
What’s happening in employment law - Reading11 October 2017
Our topical review of developments will examine recent and forthcoming changes in employment law.