Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 100 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking. Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing to provide senior lawyers in-house to organisations.
In 2016 we were delighted to have been nominated for the FT Innovative Lawyers award in the Innovation in Human Resources category for our rockhopper service. You can read more about the nomination in our press release.
- "The team is a real market leader; they are very knowledgeable, have huge strength in depth and offer very good value for money compared to other firms," (Chambers 2018)
- "We have a very high regard for the services we get from Lewis Silkin. The lawyers are accessible at all times and the advice is always sound." (Chambers 2018)
- The team "offers a high level of client service" and "is very responsive, providing extremely thorough advice." (Chambers 2018)
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
- "They have always been absolutely first-class, not just in their advice but the way they manage the relationship. You feel like a valued client of the firm."
- "They are a genuine leader of the field." (Chambers 2017, Thames Valley)
Brexit - where are we now?28 November 2018
As the March 2019 deadline for the UK’s departure from the European Union approaches, we anticipate having a better picture of the implications for employers by the time this event comes around.
Mock Employment Tribunal14 November 2018
There has been a doubling of the number of Employment Tribunal claims as a result of the abolition of fees a year ago.
HR Academy - November 201812 November 2018
This course runs over two days - 12 & 13 November 2018. Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
What's happening in immigration law08 November 2018
It’s hardly surprising immigration continues to an area of crucial concern for employers.
Collective and individual redundancies03 October 2018
The current political and economic climate is unfortunately making downsizing necessary for many businesses, which may involve making redundancies.
Gender pay gap reporting - what next?26 September 2018
The first tranche of gender pay gap reports were published by last April - so what next?
What's happening in employment law20 September 2018
Our topical review of developments will examine recent and forthcoming changes in employment law.
HR Academy - September 201810 September 2018
THIS EVENT IS FULLY BOOKED - Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?