Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin office.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
In 2016 we were delighted to have been nominated for the FT Innovative Lawyers award in the Innovation in Human Resources category for our rockhopper service. You can read more about the nomination in our press release.
- "The team is a real market leader; they are very knowledgeable, have huge strength in depth and offer very good value for money compared to other firms," (Chambers 2018)
- "We have a very high regard for the services we get from Lewis Silkin. The lawyers are accessible at all times and the advice is always sound." (Chambers 2018)
- The team "offers a high level of client service" and "is very responsive, providing extremely thorough advice." (Chambers 2018)
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
- "They have always been absolutely first-class, not just in their advice but the way they manage the relationship. You feel like a valued client of the firm."
- "They are a genuine leader of the field." (Chambers 2017, Thames Valley)
Brexit - where are we now?28 November 2018
As the March 2019 deadline for the UK’s departure from the European Union approaches, we anticipate having a better picture of the implications for employers by the time this event comes around.
Using contractors? Get ready for the IR35 tax rules - FULLY BOOKED27 November 2018
The Chancellor announced in the Budget the latest measure to combat what HMRC calls “false self-employment”, aimed at those who supply their services via their own company.
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED: Data Subject Access Requests and Data Breaches for HR20 November 2018
Organisations can be on the receiving end of extensive requests from clients or customers, employees or even members of the public. However they are perhaps most common, and most problematic, in an employment context – a disgruntled employee may bring a DSAR to gather evidence for a claim, or increase pressure with the hopes of securing an exit package.
Transgender Day of Remembrance – what employers can do to make a difference20 November 2018
Today, 20 November, is Transgender Day of Remembrance - observed annually to honour the memory of those whose lives have been lost in acts of anti-transgender violence. It is part of Transgender Awareness Week, which aims to help raise the visibility of transgender people and address the issues trans people face.
International Men’s Day - should employers be doing anything special for their male staff?19 November 2018
International Men’s Day is a good opportunity to consider the particular issues faced by men and how employers can support their male staff.
Ask About… Retail, Fashion and Hospitality16 November 2018
Many of our clients in the retail, fashion and hospitality sector face similar HR issues. Each month one of the members of our team will identify an issue, ask how you would deal with it and provide our advice. This month we asked Lucy...
Mock Employment Tribunal14 November 2018
There has been a doubling of the number of Employment Tribunal claims as a result of the abolition of fees a year ago.
High Court backs recruitment agency seeking to enforce non-solicitation and non-dealing clauses against former employee14 November 2018
A court has awarded an interim injunction to a recruitment business, Berry Recruitment Limited (“Berry”), to prevent a former employee from soliciting and dealing with its clients and candidates.