Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 100 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking. Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing to provide senior lawyers in-house to organisations.
In 2016 we were delighted to have been nominated for the FT Innovative Lawyers award in the Innovation in Human Resources category for our rockhopper service. You can read more about the nomination in our press release.
- "The team is a real market leader; they are very knowledgeable, have huge strength in depth and offer very good value for money compared to other firms," (Chambers 2018)
- "We have a very high regard for the services we get from Lewis Silkin. The lawyers are accessible at all times and the advice is always sound." (Chambers 2018)
- The team "offers a high level of client service" and "is very responsive, providing extremely thorough advice." (Chambers 2018)
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
- "They have always been absolutely first-class, not just in their advice but the way they manage the relationship. You feel like a valued client of the firm."
- "They are a genuine leader of the field." (Chambers 2017, Thames Valley)
HR Academy - September 201810 September 2018
Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
Irish employment law - a practical overview21 June 2018
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED - In this session, the Dublin and London based members of our Irish team will discuss the most important areas of employment law in Ireland and explain how they differ from the position in the UK.
What’s happening in employment and immigration law - Cardiff13 June 2018
Our topical review of developments will examine recent and forthcoming changes in employment law.
HR Academy - June 201811 June 2018
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
Mental health in the workplace06 June 2018
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. One in four of us will experience mental ill-health at some point in our lives, which inevitably means this is an issue which affects the workplace. The various legal risks for employers include potential liability for disability discrimination or personal injury. More importantly, employers who promote positive mental health in the workplace are likely to have a happier and more productive workforce. Acas has recently published useful new guidance on how to support and manage staff who are experiencing mental ill-health.
Managing Trade Unions in the Digital Age: 2018 and onwards30 May 2018
Technology continues rapidly to change where and how we work. It poses challenges for both employers and unions, and increasingly calls into question the effectiveness of our employment laws.
Reducing business costs - alternatives to redundancy25 May 2018
When businesses run into financial difficulties and need to reduce costs, the knee-jerk reaction is often to consider the scope for job cuts.
The apprenticeship levy25 May 2018
The Government has committed to boost productivity by increasing the quantity and quality of apprenticeships.