I work in three main areas: general employment law (acting mainly for employers, but occasionally senior executives as well); data protection/privacy law; and, sports law.
I deal with all general day-to-day employment queries and have significant expertise in advising on the practical implications of TUPE and on large scale redundancy/dismissal procedures. I am regularly instructed to act for clients in relation to Employment Tribunal and High Court claims. I am also regularly engaged on investigations (both open and legally privileged) for clients about a variety of different issues.
In relation to data protection/privacy law, my main focus is on workplace data dealing with: data subject access requests; data protection/privacy audits; extra-EEA data transfers; advising generally on data privacy policies/notices and Bring/ChooseYourOwnDevice policies; handling Information Commissioner’s Office queries/investigations; and, helping clients update their data protection/privacy practices in light of potential Brexit and the changes required owing to the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation.
I am part of the Lewis Silkin Sports Law Group and have a varied practice encompassing many different areas of sports law (with a specialism in employment sports law). Under its Sport rankings for 2013 Legal 500 says: "The ‘incredibly diligent’ Alexander Milner-Smith is an employment law expert."
- coordinating and advising on a multi-jurisdictional review of employment structures around the world for a multinational company
- undertaking a redundancy exercise for a multinational company involving 500 affected employees
- successfully defending a large UK PLC against a race and sexual orientation discrimination claim in a three week ET hearing
As a specialist in the privacy aspects of employment law, I am often asked to advise on the full range of data protection issues and am called on to speak about employment privacy issues at conferences and events, both nationally and internationally.
Examples of my recent work include:
- conducting audits of all personal data flows and related privacy practices for a number of well-known organizations
- advising various multi-national companies on extra-EEA transfer issues, the safe harbor changes and the potential impact of the new General Data Protection Regulation
- in the last year speaking about workplace data protection in the UK, Brussels, Milan and Hong Kong
I have advised on many different areas of sports law, including regulatory and disciplinary issues, anti-doping, but my primary specialism is employment law as applied to the sporting context (e.g. high profile player contracts, manager contracts/terminations, advising on employment status both in relation to sportspeople and other staff etc).
Media & Entertainment
I have a broad practice in the Media and Entertainment sector advising a number of household names on both employment and data protection.
I have run a number of significant cross border projects for large Media and Entertainment clients relating to both employment and data protection; including being a key part of one international music television company’s global employment helpdesk which provides them with employment advice in all of its 32 jurisdictions around the world.