I work on all types and all aspects of commercial disputes, including claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and professional negligence claims, as well as advising on conflict of laws and jurisdiction issues.
Much of my work has an international element and I am familiar with liaising with lawyers in different jurisdictions.
I help clients resolve a wide range of commercial disputes whether through negotiated settlement, court or arbitration proceedings. I also advise on how to avoid disputes arising in the first place by giving advice on potential liabilities and risks.
I have experience of dealing with claims before various forums, including not only the courts, but also arbitral tribunals, the Pensions Ombudsman and the Competition and Markets Authority.
I have experience of dealing with claims in the various divisions of the High Court as well as conducting international arbitration, ranging from lower value to multi-million pound claims. Recent cases include:
- acting for a major retail corporation in proceedings for a declaration concerning the interpretation of certain provisions of a complex relationship agreement
- acting for a high net worth individual in a professional negligence claim against his former tax advisers
- acting for both individual and corporate claimants in claims for unpaid fees from a hedge fund
- acting for an international construction contractor in an ICC arbitration concerning claims valued at over €300m arising out of the construction of a gas pipeline
Retail, Hospitality & Leisure
I act both for and against retailers and hospitality providers. Recent experience includes:
- acting for a major retail corporation in High Court proceedings against the provider of its store credit cards
- acting for a marketing agency in a dispute with a major supermarket
- acting for a software developer in an dispute with an events management company
- representing a major retailer in an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority