I primarily advise on contentious and non-contentious issues relating to intellectual property, EU and UK competition law, and reputation management (including defamation).
I advise a wide range of clients across a broad spectrum of industry sectors. I have assisted clients in a number of reported cases, including before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and EU courts.
Examples of my work include:
- intellectual property: I act for both rights holders and those who claim that their rights have been infringed. Notable cases include Jack Wills v House of Fraser  EWHC 626 (Ch). I also advise regularly on comparative advertising issues
- reputation management: I have acted for individuals and companies whose reputations are threatened or harmed, as well as for publishers. This includes before the Independent Press Complaints Organisation and in the High Court and Court of Appeal. I am currently involved in the Lachaux v AOL libel action that is the first case to reach the Court of Appeal since the introduction of the Defamation Act 2013
- competition: I have advised various clients in relation to compliance with competition law, dealing with investigations by the regulatory authorities, and private litigation. I have also completed the King’s College London Postgraduate Diplomat in EU Competition Law
Brands & Intellectual Property
My experience includes the following:
- intellectual property: I advise on the intersection between intellectual property rights and the businesses of brands. This includes advising on trade marks (including comparative advertising), copyright, passing off and designs, including in relation to the use of IP rights in advertising, licensing of IP rights, and the registration & management of IP rights
- reputation management: I have acted for brands and individuals whose reputations are threatened or harmed, as well as for publishers
- competition: I have advised various clients in relation to compliance with competition law, including dealing with investigations by the regulatory authorities. I have also completed the King’s College London Postgraduate Diplomat in EU Competition Law
I am a solicitor and work closely with trade mark attorneys and other IP specialists to advise on registration of trade marks and designs, portfolio management and enforcement of rights (and defence of such claims). I am regularly involved in proceedings before the UK Intellectual Property Office, EU Intellectual Property Office, Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, High Court and EU General Court.
Advertising & Marketing
I have particular experience in working with clients involved in the Advertising & Marketing sector, including brands, advertising agencies, media owners and publishers. Specifically, this includes advising on:
- intellectual property disputes
- the contractual relationships between advertising agencies and their clients
- risks involved with particular campaigns
- disputes between brands, including in relation to comparative advertising
- intellectual property considerations involved in advertising
Media & Entertainment
I am part of the Media & Entertainment sector group, focusing on the specific issues relating to the media and entertainment industry. In particular, I advise on:
- intellectual property, including copyright, trade marks and other rights
- complaints about online and print publications, including defamation