I lead our Technology & Communications sector group and advise UK and multinational companies on all aspects of UK and Irish employment law.
I have been recognised for a number of years as a leader in the field of employment law by Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal. I am a commentator on employment law issues for BBC TV and radio and regularly speak at HR and legal conferences and write for a number of professional publications. I am also an accredited mediator.
I have a particular interest in employment litigation and collective employment law. My practice is often international in its scope and I am regularly asked to advise on the employment law aspects of global acquisitions and on multi-jurisdictional restructures, particularly across the EMEA region. I am also responsible for a number of international retainers which enable clients to access expert employment law advice in all of the countries in which they operate.
Examples of my recent work include:
- Successfully resolving a sensitive Employment Tribunal claim for a leading international financial services company
- Advising a US provider of technology products on the termination of a number of executives at a recently acquired UK company
- Successfully defending a leading global software company in High Court injunction proceedings
- Advising a multinational technology company on the EMEA wide employment and reward aspects of an important global acquisition
- Advising a professional services company on a wide range of global employment law issues arising out of a high profile merger
- Advising a social networking service on a number of EMEA wide employment law projects, including the implications of a potential takeover
I lead Lewis Silkin’s Technology & Communications Sector Group and have spent many years advising some of the leading names in the sector. My clients range from established US headquartered software and hardware companies to more recent entrants into the sector who are focused on consulting, fashion, leisure and networking. All of these companies have a global outlook and I support many of them with their international employment law needs.
My work in the technology sector includes providing day to day advice and strategic support and managing various projects with the help of a dedicated client team of employment lawyers for each client. I have particular experience of advising on employment law aspects of various global acquisitions and restructures. I regularly host and attend technology sector events in London, Dublin and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Awards & Recognition
- Acritas Star 2018 - 'Very personable, which is important; you want to be able to get on with people you work with’
- Legal 500 2017 - The ‘very proactive’ Sean Dempsey, who ‘offers balanced equitable advice presented with a commercial view’
- Who's who legal: Labour and Employment 2017 - “excellent “and is noted for his expertise in employment law relating to technology and communications, where he is head of the sector group.
- Acritas Star 2017 - 'Straight-forward, pragmatism, ability to take something complex and make it simple, great responsiveness. A real client-first attitude to things.'
- Legal 500 2016 - [The employment team includes] ‘go-to partner’ Sean Dempsey
- Legal 500 2015 - Sean Dempsey is pragmatic and intelligent