Alongside my day job of advising clients on all matters employment law, I co-head our 100 lawyer-strong, award winning team of employment lawyers having joined 25 years ago when the team was Michael Burd and me.
The evolving business of law interests me having recently completed the Leadership in Law Firms programme at Harvard Law School.
I am a regular speaker at employment law conferences both domestically and internationally, Executive Editor of Age Discrimination (published by Bloomsbury), an author of Partnership and Discrimination Law for Professional Partnerships (published by Legalease) and have been a monthly contributor to Management Today for over ten years. I am also Regional Editor and National Contributor of European Employment Law Cases.
I advise a diverse group of employers large and small on everything from restructurings to discrimination claims. I have a particular interest in advising law firms on their internal employment and partnership issues and recently advised on what was reported as the largest law firm team move in recent years. From time to time I also advise senior executives.
A major part of my practice is advising organisations on their international employment law needs so am a good person to contact if you need the best employment law advice in, say, Gabon or Tajikistan. I am also a francophile having obtained a Diplôme d’Etudes Juridiques Françaises from the University of Strasbourg to add to my Masters degree in Employment Relations.
Partnerships and LLPs
Many of my clients are partnerships and LLPs. Amongst these clients are several major national and international law firms as well as financial services and other professional firms.
Partnership disputes regularly require me to apply discrimination law and those employment laws which cover partnerships as well as partnership and LLP law. I have been involved for many years in the issues surrounding retirement age for partners. Additionally, the issues surrounding the management and remuneration of partners are of particular interest in my management role at Lewis Silkin.
From time to time I also advise members and partners on their positions.
I am an author of Partnership and Discrimination Law for Professional Partnerships (published by Legalease).
Awards & Recognition
- Who's Who Legal: Labour and Employment 2017 - He is recognised as one of the leading lawyers for international employment matters and is “a highly experienced and longstanding employment expert”.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - London (Firms), Employment: Employer
- James Davies is adept at advising employers on discrimination cases. He also has significant experience advising on difficult team moves and partnership disputes. Clients comment that he is "very practical, down-to-earth and very responsive."
- Legal 500 2016 - London: Human resources - Employment: Employees Unions - Leading individual
- Legal 500 2016 - London: Human resources - Employment:Employers and Senior Executives - Leading individual
- Legal 500 2016 - The 'fantastic' James Davies and Michael Burd co-head the department