I have for over 25 years acted for a wide range of media and entertainment clients, protecting their IP, content, brands and reputation.
For broadcasters, publishers and clients exploiting content via all the current digital platforms I advise on content risk pre broadcast/publication; which I am able to do with the benefit of also having a busy reputation management practice. I also conduct commercial and regulatory disputes for media clients post broadcast/publication, and have acted for a wide array of leading broadcasters, content producers and publishers.
I deal with all kinds of disputes arising in the TV/AV industry - privacy, defamation, intellectual property and contractual disputes. I specialise in format rights advice (pre and post broadcast) and have advised on a wide range of format rights disputes. I am the Founder and Director of the International Format Lawyers Association.
I also preserve the value of clients’ corporate and individual reputation and that of their brands when they are threatened by the media, using the full range of legal and regulatory protections available. I regularly work closely with leading PR agencies to craft effective media strategies when the hard won corporate or individual reputations are under commercial threat by the media.
Brands & IP
I undertake a full range of content work; copyright, privacy, defamation and related rights for broadcasters, the AV industry, content distributors via digital platforms and publishers. I advise pre-broadcast/publication, and undertake the full array of disputes that arise from the exploitation of content.
I do PR crisis management work for corporate and individual clients using the expertise gained from working for the media industry; usually with leading PR agencies. The most effective work that I can do is prior to publication or broadcast, but I also conduct regulatory complaints and/or litigation where brands/reputations have suffered damage.
Media & Entertainment
I regularly advise clients in the Media & Entertainment sectors including
- Digital content of all varieties;
- Television; my clients include major broadcasters and content creators
- Audio Visual; and all the means of exploiting AV content;
- Publishing; all forms; electronic and traditional;
- Music; I am a classically trained musician who also has extensive studio experience and knowledge of the digital processes used to create contemporary music.
- Reputation Management; using all the various means available to ensure the reputation of a client is not trashed for the commercial benefit of a publisher or broadcaster.
- The key period is prior to publication or broadcast, and with the expertise that I have working in the media sector I am able to advise on the most effective strategy for either preventing the adverse publication/broadcast or ensuring that the damage that it will cause is substantially reduced.
Post broadcast/publication the regulators (IPSO and Ofcom) provide relatively rapid and inexpensive remedies which can be backed up with the threat of a legal sanction if necessary.
Awards and recognition
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - UK-wide Defamation / Reputation Management
- Jonathan Coad acts for media and entertainment clients, corporates and private individuals on reputation management matters, including pre-litigation issues and high-profile disputes. He is considered a "strong litigator" by sources, who report that "he fights hard for his clients."
- Legal 500 2016 - London: Dispute Resolution - Reputation management - Leading individual
- Lewis Silkin LLP acts for an impressive client list that includes Insanity Talent Management and AOL. Jonathan Coad, who ‘can be relied on to robustly and powerfully represent his clients’, is acting for the latter as the publisher of the Huffington Post, in Court of Appeal case that is considering the test for “serious harm”.