Asia Pacific 亞太區
We have been operating in the Asia Pacific for many years, working with our clients as they expand and develop their businesses in the region, and as they seek to do business in Europe and the UK.
We understand the region’s business practices and the regulatory environment, and our legal teams include both local and international lawyers, combining the benefits of local knowledge, experience and language, with an international outlook.
Led from our office in Hong Kong, our Asia practice focuses on Hong Kong, China, Japan and Korea. Through a combination of our own offices, strategic alliances and expert desks, we can offer a full international offering across the Asia Pacific region.
Our experience in the region includes advising:
- an Indian software company, in proceedings in the Technology & Construction Court relating to the sale of a subsidiary company specialising in legal outsourcing software.
- on the establishment of an automotive company’s joint venture in China in which we helped moved a large number of key and skilled staff to the new venture in various locations in China.
- an advertising agency on the employment aspects of setting up legal entities in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- a networking platform on various HR projects across Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.
- House of Fraser on structuring its new franchising arrangements for its entry into the Chinese market.
- a tech start-up on the exit of its co-founder and CEO to join a competitor including advise on breach of contract and fiduciary duties and the enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- a major law firm with the set-up of their Hong Kong Partnership.
- a professional services firm on various post harmonisation projects through Asia following a merger with another professional services firm.
- an investment bank in Hong Kong with regard to threats of litigation by an employee for breach of contract in addition to supporting with a related investigation and termination.
- Conran Shop, part of the group of design and retail companies owned by Sir Terence Conran, on franchise agreements across Asia, including Japan, South Korea.
- an Indian company in a US$250 million dispute with the Governorate of Basra, Iraq, and several international financial institutions, arising out of a contract for a major infrastructure project and associated performance bonds and letters of credit. The dispute involves parallel proceedings in London, Iraq and India.
View our APAC employment law inbriefs below:
- Korea (Republic of)
- 在技术工程庭 (Technology & Construction Court) 关于出售专门从事法律外包软件的子公司的诉讼中，为一家印度软件公司提供咨询服务。
- 就 House of Fraser 进入中国市场的新特许经营安排为其提供咨询。
- 就亚洲地区（包括日本、韩国）的特许经营协议，为特伦斯•康兰爵士拥有的设计和零售公司集团旗下的康兰家具店 (Conran Shop) 提供咨询服务。
- 为一家印度公司提供咨询服务，解决该公司与伊拉克巴士拉省以及几家国际金融机构之间的 2.5 亿美元纠纷，该纠纷是由一项大型基础设施项目合同以及相关的履约保证书和信用证引起的。这场纠纷涉及伦敦、伊拉克和印度的平行诉讼。
- 韩国 (Republic of)
Employment law in Hong Kong - an overview01 February 2021
With its historical ties with the West and reputation as a “gateway” to Mainland China, it is not surprising that Hong Kong is already home for many Western companies and is top of the list for those wishing to expand into Asia Pacific. This in-brief provides an overview of employment law in Hong Kong.
Covid-19 – can employers in Hong Kong require their employees to be tested and vaccinated?21 January 2021
With a vaccination against coronavirus being rolled out in Hong Kong shortly, many employers in will understandably be eager to have their employees vaccinated in the hope of their workplace returning to some form of normality. This article explores some of the legal issues.
Employment law in China - an overview04 January 2021
China’s strong economy, large manufacturing base and burgeoning consumer market make it an irresistible place for many Western companies to do business. This in-brief provides a snapshot of some of the key aspects of Chinese employment law. Our Hong Kong office was opened to meet a growing demand from many of our clients for coordinated employment and immigration/global mobility support across the Asia Pacific region (including China).
Hong Kong: A 2020 Refresher On COVID-related Employment Law Issues In Hong Kong. Kathryn Weaver writes for Mondaq07 December 2020
In this article first published in HR Online, Kathryn Weaver answers some key questions on employers' duty of care and other pandemic-related issues in Hong Kong, and takes a look ahead to 2021.
Lewis Silkin’s Hong Kong team win Immigration Firm of the Year award for the third year running27 November 2020
Market-leading employment and immigration law specialist Lewis Silkin has won the ‘Immigration Law Firm of the Year’ award for the third consecutive year at the Macallan ALB (Asian Legal Business) Hong Kong Law Awards 2020.
Hong Kong: 2020 refresher on Covid-related employment law issues. Kathryn Weaver writes for Human Resources online24 November 2020
The law on mental and physical wellbeing of employees hasn’t changed in Hong Kong as a result of the pandemic, but the emphasis on it certainly has. Never have employers in Hong Kong had to think more about the well-being of their employees than they have in the last year or so.
When working from home means working abroad (HK)26 October 2020
Covid-19 is causing many employees to ask if they can work from “home” for an extended period in an overseas country - for example, because it is their home nation, or their family is based there. This article explains the potential legal issues and how to avoid the traps.
Lewis Silkin shortlisted for five HK legal awards20 October 2020
Market-leading employment and immigration law specialist Lewis Silkin has been shortlisted for five awards in the Macallan ALB (Asian Legal Business) Hong Kong Law Awards 2020.