Hong Kong Corporate Counsel Association: Workplace data protection in the EU
- 11 January 2017
- Registration 12:30 pm, Presentation 01:00 pm - 02:00 pm. Please register your attendance online no later than Friday, 6 Jan 2017.
- The Executive Centre, Level 3, Three Pacific Place, 1 Queen's Road East, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Submit your details to request event materials
Lewis Silkin are hosting the first CPD seminar of 2017 held by the Hong Kong Corporate Counsel Association focusing on practical advice on what Asian multinationals can do to protect their EU (and UK) based subsidiaries in terms of data protection in the workplace.
The forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") brings with it a new system of sanctions including the ability of EU (and UK) data protection regulators to fine companies potentially up to 4% of worldwide revenue for data breaches. This is something that needs rise up the corporate risk register and be taken seriously now. The workplace and data protection presents very relevant risks as not only can data protection regulators criticise companies for their workplace data protection practices, employees/agency workers/freelancers are now regularly deploying data protection complaints as part of workplace disputes. The GDPR also has a wide territorial reach so even companies without corporate structures in the EU (and UK) but who engage with individuals in the EU (and UK) still need to be aware of the potential implications of the GDPR.
Thinking about this issue now and over the next 18 months (i.e. until GDPR implementation in May 2018) could potentially save millions of £s, $s or €s in fines in the future.
The seminar will focus on:
- Summary of the data protection regime in the EU
- Special focus on how to effect validly extra-EEA data transfers
- What changes will the GDPR bring in May 2018?
- What effect does Brexit have for those companies with UK subsidiaries?
- What practical steps should be taken now to prepare for the GDPR and mitigate any workplace related risks?
Food and drinks will be provided for this lunchtime presentation. One (1) Law Society of Hong Kong CPD point has been applied for. New York and California Approved Jurisdiction policy may apply.
To register for this event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note this event is exclusively for HKCCA members. If you are not an HKCCA member but you want to attend this presentation, you need to successfully apply for membership at www.hkcca.net and pay the membership fee before registering for the event. If you have any membership queries, please contact HKCCA Secretariat on email@example.com or (852) 2516 7007.