I am a Partner in the firm's Corporate and Partnerships & LLPs legal practice groups and specialise in advising law, accountancy and other professional services firms, businesses structured as partnerships or LLPs (including in the financial services sector) and member organisations structured as companies limited by guarantee.
I have specialised in advising professional services firms and other businesses structured as partnerships or LLPs (including hedge funds and private equity houses) for over 10 years.
I am recognised in Chambers and Legal 500 as a rising star for non-contentious partnership work. I am described in Chambers as 'a master of the detail', being 'excellent' and 'greatly valued by clients for indispensable work' and having 'brilliant legal gravitas', and described in Legal 500 as 'particularly valued' for my 'skills in drafting and structuring partnership and LLP arrangements' and 'making complex matters straightforward'.
Professional services firms and Partnerships & LLPs
My core practice is focused on working closely with senior management at UK and international professional services firms, financial services firms and other owner-led / people businesses on a broad range of non-contentious issues, including strategic transactions and projects, governance and constitutional arrangements, UK and international structuring and regulatory issues, commercial agreements, funding arrangements and partner matters (including profit sharing, performance management, restrictive covenants and other business protection issues). I am also experienced in advising on negotiated and contentious partner exits and related issues.
My specialist expertise includes advising on:
- The structuring and drafting of governance and constitutional arrangements for LLPs, partnerships and companies limited by guarantee.
- UK and international mergers and acquisitions, disposals and restructurings.
- The formation of professional services firms and other LLP businesses.
- LLP conversions.
- International structuring, including the opening and regulation of overseas offices and practices.
- Strategic projects, including remuneration models, business protection issues and succession planning.
- SRA, IPReg, ICAEW, FRC, Law Society of Scotland and international regulatory and structuring issues (including new firm authorisation and change of control approvals).
- Partner issues, including investigations and negotiated and contentious exits.
- The structuring and drafting of litigation finance arrangements.
The broad scope of my core practice is further diversified by my work advising membership organisations structured as companies limited by guarantee on corporate and governance issues (including formation, drafting and application of constitutional documents, member admissions and exits) and key strategic projects and commercial arrangements.
I am a member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners and sit as a member of the Up and Coming Committee.
Awards and recognition
- Next Generation partner in Legal 500 2024 (Partnership)
- Legal 500 (2023) - "We’ve known Chris since he was an associate and particularly value his skills in drafting and structuring partnership and LLP arrangements. Works incredibly hard and is always available."
- Chambers UK (2023) - "Chris is a master of the detail - his drafting work has been impressive and he's got good client management skills."
- Chambers UK (2022) - "Chris is extremely responsive with a high level of client service and brilliant legal gravitas." "He is excellent and keeps everything moving."
- Legal 500 (2020) - "Makes complex matters straightforward and possesses seemingly endless patience."
- Chambers UK (2018) - "Greatly valued by clients for indispensable work."
- Chambers UK (2017) - "A highly skilled and creative draftsman."
- Legal 500 - Ranked in each edition since 2020 as a "Rising star".
- Chambers UK - Ranked in each edition since 2017 as an "Associate to watch".