I have over 25 years’ experience advising business and individuals on the effective and efficient resolution of commercial disputes.
I advise national and international organisations on the discreet investigation and resolution of sensitive internal issues and on disputes with suppliers, customers, competitors and regulators. In the course of my practice I have resolved problems for my clients by way of hard fought and acrimonious litigation resulting in trials before the English Courts, domestic and international private arbitration panels from the ICC and LCIA and through conciliatory negotiation and mediation.
My approach to the resolution of any dispute is to identify the range of commercial outcomes desired by my client and devise strategies to achieve those outcomes taking account of the client’s timeframe and budget and identifying the most effect forum for the resolution of the particular dispute. No two disputes are exactly the same and no two clients will have the same goals in seeking a resolution. The essential element of effective dispute resolution is to work with the client to clearly identify the commercial imperatives and to build an implement a strategy to achieve them.
I advise businesses across a range of commercial sectors including professional services, retail, media, construction and pharmaceuticals and work on a wide variety of disputes. I have obtained orders for emergency injunctive relief from the Court, prosecuted and defended claims to trial before the Courts and in arbitrations conducted under the Rules of International Chamber of Commerce and the London Court of International Arbitration.
In addition to acting on commercial disputes relating to breach of contract, negligence, misrepresentation and commercial fraud I have a keen interest in fiduciary duties and the conduct of company directors and shareholders. I advise the management bodies of businesses on the investigation of losses arising from the behaviour and conduct of individuals within organisations.
Partnerships & LLPs
I advise a range of businesses and individuals on all aspects of limited liability partnership (LLP), limited partnership (LP) and partnership law on both non-contentious matters and dispute resolution.
My dispute resolution work is primarily advising Management Committees and Managing Partners on internal disputes, team moves, partner behavior and conduct, fiduciary duties, restrictive covenants, partner expulsions and retirements.
Non-contentious work involves advising businesses and individuals on the duties and obligations imposed on those seeking to establish or join an LLP, LP or partnership, the implications of the terms of LLP, LP and partnership agreements and the matters to be considered when it is contemplated that an individual might leave the business (either voluntarily or by compulsion).
I advise national and international businesses in the professional services sector and have particular experience and expertise in advising businesses and individuals in the legal, accountancy and financial services professions.
My work is primarily in advising Management Committees and Managing Partners on all aspects of LLP and partnership law and most commonly in the context of internal disputes, team moves, behavior and conduct of partners, breaches of duty and restrictive covenants, partner expulsions and retirements. I have been described by Chambers UK as “absolutely marvelous” with a “superb knowledge of partnership law” and “technically excellent and very skillful in his handling of complex and sensitive disputes” and by Legal 500 as “a litigator at the top of his game and with enormous experience in this area”.
I am a member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners and co-author of Employment, Partnership and Discrimination Law form Professional Partnerships (published by Legalease).
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2022 (Commercial litigation: Mid-market) - ‘Clive Greenwood is a brilliant partner who is at the top of his game. He is straightforward and has amazing commercial acumen‘
- Legal 500 2022 (Partnership) - ‘Clive Greenwood is absolutely top notch, and always delivers wise, pragmatic advice. A great practical problem-solver who knows the law inside out‘
- Legal 500 2022 (Partnership) - ‘I regard Clive Greenwood as one of the total stars of the partnership world. I often recommend him and always know people will be delighted with what he does for them. Stellar! And always a total pleasure to work with‘
- Chambers 2019 Ranked: Partnership - Contentious (UK wide)
- Chambers 2019 - "He is particularly well versed in matters connected with partner expulsions, retirements and remuneration issues".
- Listed in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame 2018
- Legal 500 2018 - Clive Greenwood is a 'superb litigator who offers forthright commercially-aware advice and is conscious of costs'
- Legal 500 2018 - The group [Partnership] is co-led by 'excellent strategist' and partnership dispute veteran Clive Greenwood.
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - UK-wide, Partnership: Contentious
- Clive Greenwood focuses his practice on contentious partnership work, including disputes stemming from retirements, expulsions and team moves. Market observers attest to his "incredible knowledge of LLP law."