I am a partner specialising in employment law. I draw my clients from all industry sectors, but have a particular focus on financial services, professional services and technology. I also act on occasion for senior executives and partners.
I became a partner in Lewis Silkin’s employment team in April 2012, before that spending nearly eleven years at Baker & McKenzie. I currently chair our Employment - Corporates group, and am also a senior member of our Financial Services and Technology sector groups. I have a particular expertise in platform or “gig” economy matters, working on high profile employment status disputes. I advise regularly on trade union and collective rights matters and also have a keen interest in cross-border work, co-organising our annual Managing an International Workforce conference. I speak regularly at internal and external conferences, and contribute to a wide range of publications on employment law issues. I lead our work on equal pay, gender pay gap, executive pay gap, and modern slavery reporting.
I have been voted the Lexology Client Choice UK Employment Lawyer of the Year 2020 by in house counsel. Who’s Who Legal has been kind enough to list me as a leading employment lawyer for each of the years from 2016 to 2020, and as a “thought leader”.
My practice is diverse: while I advise regularly on the employment lawyer “bread and butter” of redundancies, disciplinaries, grievances and so on, I also specialise in:
- high value litigation (High Court and Tribunal)
- industrial relations and collective rights issues, particularly in the “gig economy”
- TUPE and transactions
- equal pay
- cross-border and international employment advice
I also advise on key new issues for employers such as gender pay gap reporting, executive pay gap reporting and the Modern Slavery Act. Recent career highlights include helping Deliveroo establish that its riders are self-employed in a high profile Central Arbitration Committee decision in 2017, advising on a multi-party High Court equal pay claim, assisting a leading investment bank to recover a substantial sum of money from a departing executive, and advising a top Silicon Valley company on a global employment contract review.
I advise a number of banks, asset managers, hedge funds and private equity firms on employment and partnership / LLP law issues.
I have wide experience of supporting clients in handling sensitive disputes involving senior staff, including where FCA and other regulatory issues at stake. I have expertise in the Senior Managers and Certification Regime.
I act for a wide range of clients in the technology sector on employment law issues. I have particular expertise in advising platform or “gig” economy clients on employment status disputes, but I work with everyone from Silicon Valley giants to small start-ups. My experience ranges from cross-border restructurings and global contract and policy reviews for the giants, to actions restraining misuse of confidential information and breach of covenants for much smaller players. I also act on technology acquisitions.
I advise a number of partnerships and LLPs, particularly in the financial services and professional services sectors, on employment and partnership / LLP law issues which are relevant to them. My practice includes advising law firm clients on their own internal personnel issues.
I have wide experience of supporting clients in handling sensitive disputes involving senior staff, including partners and their equivalents. I also on occasion advise senior individuals and partners on their own legal position.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2021 (Employment: Employer) - "A standout choice for employment law; he's great"
- Chambers 2021 (Employment: Employer) - "He really understands our objectives as a client and helps us to achieve our goals with legal advice tailored to our strengths and what we need"
- Legal 500 2021 (Employers) - ‘Colin Leckey is extremely responsive, practical and instinctively understands the key underlying commercial issues behind a question. I value his common sense and collaborative stance, as well as his expertise’
- Lexology Client Choice UK Employment Lawyer of the Year 2020
- Chambers 2020 - an incredibly hard-working and incredibly bright lawyer who invests a lot of understanding in the client's business
- Acritas Star 2018 - 'Colin has the gravitas to be able to deal with complex, sensitive, high-value employment cases, and to really understand and develop a strategy for dealing with those matters’
- Legal 500 2018 - Colin Leckey 'provides strong, commercially driven advice'.
- Who's Who Legal 2018: is a 'very smart guy who is good to work with'.