I am an employment lawyer with many years’ experience advising HR professionals, in house counsel and senior management at UK and international businesses across a variety of industry sectors.
Many of my clients are in retail, leisure and broadcast media. I have particular expertise in resolving tricky employee relations issues and handling employment tribunal litigation. I live in Bath with my wife and children.
Retail, Hospitality & Leisure
I have worked closely throughout my career with clients who run shops and restaurants, providing day to day advice on everything from the shop floor to board level. A few years ago I spent ten months seconded to the in-house legal team at a major UK high street retailer, where I advised all areas of the business and managed a heroic case load of employment tribunal litigation. This gave me unique insight into the operational realities of a large retailer and has informed my work for retailers ever since. My experience of handling employment tribunal litigation for retailers is extensive.
Awards and recognition
- Legal 500 2024 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) - 'James Walters is excellent to work with.'
- Legal 500 2023 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) ‘Pragmatic and results-focused‘ ‘James Waters is excellent, always available, pragmatic and results-focused. Balanced and able to give a full perspective, but will give a view and clarity of risks.’
- Rising star in Legal 500 (Employment)
- Legal 500 2022 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) - ‘James Walters stands out in the commerciality and quality of advice provided. He has a very pragmatic approach to situations and his advice and guidance is second to none’
- Legal 500 2018: an ‘impressive litigator’ who ‘ensures that cases are managed proactively and effectively’