I am the Chair of the Partnership and have been a corporate partner at Lewis Silkin since 2000. My main area of practice is advising clients on mergers and acquisition transactions.
I have more than 20 years’ experience representing and assisting the owners of privately owned businesses on the implementation of their growth plans and exit strategies. Nearly all of the people and businesses I represent operate in the creative economy – in marketing, media, communications, data and digital enterprises.
As well as corporate transactional work, I advise clients on a broad range of corporate matters such as LLP and company formation, joint venture and shareholder agreements, incentive share arrangements, raising growth capital and other inward investment and capital restructurings and re-organisations.
You can view some of our Adlaw blog posts below.
Mergers & Acquisitions
One of my main areas of practice is advising on the sale of privately owned businesses, this involves the appropriate structuring of the business prior to any exit as well as a tax efficient deal structure at the time of exit. Most of the transactions I advise on have multiple selling shareholders and usually involve earn out arrangements of varying degrees of complexity. My intention is to provide pragmatic legal counsel and efficient project management.
I work closely with clients, who are usually business owners or very senior management, helping them with all manner of general corporate and business issues. This can include advice on the best corporate entity to set up; shareholder rights; director responsibilities; investment structures; employee incentives; joint ventures; shareholder and LLP agreements – all manner of corporate issues which arise in the ownership, managements and governance of private companies.
Advertising & Marketing
Many of the clients I represent are individuals and companies in the wider creative economy and comprise both established and market leading agencies as well as fledgling businesses. This includes traditional and not so traditional advertising agencies, public relations firms, data and digital companies; companies and partnerships in research – quantitative and qualitative; agencies specialising in user experience; design agencies and so on.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Corporate/M&A: £10-100 million) "Whatever pressure or challenges we have faced across many different transactions, Jo has always been a huge help to us in navigating through those difficulties." "Jo Evans is incredibly knowledgeable, calm, funny, intelligent and professional."
- Chambers Europe 2023 (Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market) "Jo is brilliant - she is very knowledgeable and very commercial."
- Chambers 2022 (Corporate/M&A: Lower Mid-Market) - 'Jo is brilliant - she is very knowledgeable and very commercial'
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2020 edition
- Chambers and Partners 2019 - Jo Evans impresses with her "very commercial and calm demeanour" in M&A transactions. She represents a stable of leading names in the media, marketing and communications fields.
- Legal 500 2018 - Jo Evans is ‘commercially very savvy and experienced, and also a lovely person to work with'.