I am an experienced dispute resolution lawyer with a particular focus on the Sport Sector.
I joined Lewis Silkin in 2018 as a Senior Associate from Shoosmiths LLP where I specialised in commercial litigation and sports law.
I was awarded a Bachelor of Laws degree from Oxford Brookes University in 2007 and I qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2011 after completing the Legal Practice Course at the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice.
As a dispute resolution lawyer, I have considerable experience of dealing with high value and complex commercial litigation in court proceedings as well as all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
I have particular expertise in the sports sector including:
- Disputes in the civil courts as well as sport specific arbitration tribunals such as the Court of Arbitration for Sport, FIFA’s Player’s Status Committee and FIFA’s Dispute Resolution Chamber;
- Regulatory compliance at both a national and international level; and
- Disciplinary proceedings in relation to alleged regulation breaches and on-field misconduct.
I am deputy co-head of Lewis Silkin’s sports group and advise clients in the sports sector on a broad range of sports issues.
My key clients include clubs, leading agencies and international athletes. The matters which I work on are often with an international element and being a Spanish speaker is particularly valuable to many clients.
My recent experience includes:
- Acting for numerous clients in arbitration tribunals such as the Court of Arbitration for Sport and in FA Rule K arbitrations, often with an international element. This includes acting for a client in a multi-million pound contractual dispute with a top flight European football club, advising a Premier League football club in connection with a contractual dispute arising out of an international transfer of a player, representing a leading football agency in the Court of Arbitration for Sport in connection with a contractual dispute with an international footballer and advising a leading Premier League footballer in connection with the termination of an endorsement contract;
- Advising Premier League clubs, players and intermediaries in relation to numerous domestic and international football transfers and player contracts;
- Advising clubs, managers, players and intermediaries in relation to regulatory compliance and disciplinary investigations for alleged regulatory breaches and on-field misconduct. This includes representing various football and rugby players before FA, RFU and European disciplinary panels and advising intermediaries regarding alleged breaches of the FA’s Working with Intermediary Regulations; and
- Regularly instructed in relation to high-profile football manager and coaching staff appointments and terminations.
I am a member of Sport Resolutions’ panel of arbitrators for the period 2021-2024 and was recently selected by FIFA to act as pro bono counsel in FIFA proceedings.
I write regular articles on sports law and provide updates on Twitter (@fc_legal).
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2022 (Sport) - 'He has very good knowledge of football regulations'
- Legal 500 2022 (Sport) - ‘John Shea is a terrific senior associate who is going places fast. Especially strong on international sporting disputes’