I’m an employment and partnership law specialist with a brilliantly diverse range of clients.
I represent a number of major law firms and accountancy practices and have extensive experience advising these firms on employment and partnership related matters, especially issues arising from law firm team moves, discrimination complaints and outsourcing. I am also head of our Professional Services Sector Group.
I am a member of Lewis Silkin’s investigations team and routinely conduct complex and highly sensitive workplace investigations.
I help my clients to deal with any employment law challenges which come their way and aim to make the process as smooth as possible for them. I pride myself in taking a pragmatic, commercial and business-focused approach to all of my work. I particularly enjoy resolving high value disputes, both before and after the commencement of litigation, including sensitive discrimination cases, whistleblowing claims, and those involving regulatory matters. I also advise on workplace restructures, negotiate employment documentation, such as contracts and settlement agreements, and provide training on all of these issues.
A typical day might include advising my clients on issues such as how to deal with allegations of discrimination or harassment, redundancies and complex grievances or disciplinary matters. I also manage and advise on all aspects of outsourcing arrangements, including the application of TUPE, and any Employment Tribunal claims faced by my clients.
Examples of some of my recent work includes:
- advising a major international law firm on a significant restructuring and outsourcing project
- investigating allegations of discrimination made against very senior executives in a household name business
- successfully resolving a discrimination dispute between directors of a plc
- successfully defending a multi-Respondent disability discrimination claim
- advising a major supermarket in relation to board level issues
- advising a bank faced with multiple whistleblowing claims
Partnerships & LLPs
My clients include a number of the leading international law firms and LLPs. I regularly advise these organisations in relation to matters such as team moves, the rights and obligations of partners, and partnership disputes. I also act for partners in dispute with their current or former partnership or LLP.
Some recent examples of my work include:
- advising a major law firm on the fall-out following a hotly contested management election
- advising in relation to partnership retirement issues and allegations of age discrimination
- advising a major law firm in relation to an arbitration arising out of a team move
- advising in relation to a partner exit which involved allegations of disability discrimination
- advising a team of partners on their rights and obligations towards their LLP ahead of a planned team move
I am the Head of Lewis Silkin's Professional Services Sector Group and am particularly noted for my work advising major international law firms and other professional services firms on all aspects of their relationships with their employees and members/partners.
I have a wealth of experience in resolving issues such as contentious team moves, the enforcement of restrictive covenants and the use of alternative dispute resolution.
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2018 - Karen Baxter is recommended for her ability to 'move seamlessly from employment to partnership'.