I cover the full range of corporate advice, working with companies, shareholders, investors and management teams from incorporation through the lifecycle of a company to exit.
My workload varies from acting on M&A deals for corporate buyers and owner managers to football investments and player transfers. Over the last decade, I have spent a considerable amount of my time working with businesses in the media and sport industries and I hold a postgraduate qualification in sports law. The clients I regularly advise include advertising agencies, PR agencies, talent agents, production companies, sports investors, football clubs and sports marketing agencies.
Away from the office, my loves (in no particular order) are Lord’s, the Cape Winelands, the River Café, scuba diving, Arsenal and my wife.
I provide companies, shareholders and directors with the full range of corporate advice. This advice includes each stage of a company’s life from incorporation, initial fund raising, incentivising staff, secondary fund raising, acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, group reorganisations and finally through to a sale in whole or part. My experience tells me that most clients are not interested in the intricacies of the Companies Act (that is what we are here for) but are looking for clear, commercial advice and, above all, pragmatic solutions.
Mergers & Acquisitions
I regularly act for owner managers on the sale of their businesses and for international groups on their UK acquisitions. Acting for both buyers and sellers allows me to see the deal from both sides of the table and foresee potential issues. My role is generally as the point of contact on the negotiation and drafting of the sale and purchase agreement, managing the internal transaction team at Lewis Silkin and coordinating with the client’s other external advisers on the project.
Having worked on deals in numerous sectors I appreciate that what is important to one client may not be to another and, therefore, knowledge of the client’s business and priorities is the key to a successful transaction.
I am a core member of the firm’s Sports Business Group and have worked in the sport industry for over a decade. I have a postgraduate qualification in sports law and act for top level football clubs, rugby clubs, sports marketing agencies, agents, players and investors, particularly in football. My expertise includes buying and selling clubs, international player transfers, sponsorship, representation contracts, financing deals, sports regulation and investment in football clubs and players. I have negotiated with many leading European football clubs, been involved in numerous international transfers (with an aggregate value in excess of £200 million) and regularly provide commentary on football finance and the transfer market.
Advertising & Marketing
I am a member of the firm’s Advertising & Marketing Group and have worked with clients in this sector for over a decade. I have acted for large multinational agencies on their UK acquisitions and conversely for smaller owner managed agencies on their sale or management buy-out. Whilst no two deals are ever the same, having experience of both sides of the table enables me to identify and predict potential traps and find creative solutions for clients who work in these sectors.
I have considerable experience of acting for clients in advertising and PR. These businesses rely heavily on the strength of their people and the relationship with their clients, and consequently negotiation of deals in these sectors tends to focus on these areas.
Awards & Recognition
- Legal 500 2022 (Sport) - ‘Karish Andrews is very linked in and pre-eminent on the corporate side of sporting matters’
- Legal 500 2018 - Karish Andrews is ‘commercial and knowledgeable in the media and marketing sectors’.
- Acritas Star 2018 - "Responsiveness, and an understanding of our business and of our corporate structure."
- Legal 500 2017 - London: Corporate and commercial - M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m: The ‘commercial, technically excellent’ and ‘always available’ Karish Andrews is particularly experienced in sports M&A, though he also advised Four Communications Group on its acquisition of Rain Communications and Packer Forbes, and assisted The Brooklyn Brothers with its sale to Golin.
- Legal 500 2017 - London: TMT (technology, media and telecoms) - Sport: In the football finance space, Karish Andrews acted for Quality Football Funds, as investors in several leading European clubs, on their negotiations with the clubs following footballer transfers and associated investment exits.