I manage the Hong Kong office and head up its employment practice.
I joined Lewis Silkin in 2007 and haven’t looked back since. After 10 years in the London office, I made the move to Hong Kong to head up the employment practice and then also took on the role of managing the office. I am dual-qualified in England & Wales and Hong Kong, listed as a recognised practitioner for Hong Kong employment law in Chambers and recommended in Who’s Who Legal, with the Hong Kong employment team also being rated in Legal 500.
I have extensive experience of advising multinational employers in the Asia Pacific region on international employment law matters and act for a mixture of FTSE 100 companies, household-name brands, gig economy clients and start-ups. My clients span various sectors including technology, financial and professional services, retail and advertising.
I advise on the full range of employment issues in Hong Kong, including complicated terminations, negotiated separation agreements, restrictive covenant disputes and litigation, defending claims in the labour tribunal and courts, discrimination issues, grievances and disciplinaries, performance issues, sickness absence, redundancies and restructuring, and data privacy.
I also undertake a broad range of cross-jurisdictional work in Asia Pacific, such as implementing partnership programmes, coordinating global employee handbook reviews and the drafting of template employment documents, overseeing litigation, coordinating multi-country data privacy projects and cross-border restructuring, carrying out disciplinary and grievance investigations, and advising on senior ex-pat relocation packages.
Having worked in-house at a number of client companies in the financial services, technology and retail sector whilst on secondment, I have a solid understanding of what a client is looking for in external counsel and make it a focus to provide practical, no-nonsense advice in a personable and timely manner and to ensure costs are managed effectively throughout a piece of work.
I frequently deliver bespoke training to clients in the region on topics such as diversity and inclusion, sexual harassment, employment status and data privacy, and regularly draft articles and provide quotes on employment law topics for local media. I also regularly speak at and chair conferences in Hong Kong, Singapore and the UK on a wide range of employment law topics.
To find out more about our services in Hong Kong and across Asia Pacific please click here.
- Recommended Individual in Doyle’s 2022 Guide (Employment: Hong Kong)
- Chambers 2022 - Kathryn Weaver is ‘well respected in the market,’ according to interviewees, who describe her as ‘an expert and a technical specialist'
- Chambers Great China 2022 (Employment) "a very supportive partner who takes time to understand," and "always delivers first-class support and advice."
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 (Employment) - "always very responsive, pragmatic and commercial"
- Recommended in Doyle's 2021
- Who's Who Legal Global Leader - Labour & Employment (Hong Kong) 2021
- Kathryn Weaver is listed as a recognised practitioner in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 (Employment, Hong Kong)
- Rated in Legal 500 2020
- Recommended in Who’s Who Legal 2020 Hong Kong