I am primarily a dispute resolution lawyer with a strong specialist focus in intellectual property and reputation management.
Much of my practice has been spent advising a broad range of commercial clients, which typically range from manufacturing, food production, cosmetics, drinks, data services, media, television production and service industries. I work closely with clients at the early stages of disputes, exploring ways to prevent dispute escalation or finding creative ways to break deadlocks and achieve resolution, either through mediation or ADR. I also provide advice on best practices for protecting, policing and monetising intellectual property assets and reputation. I have acted for clients in the UK in hearings before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and Privy Council in addition to arbitration. I also have also acted for clients on IP cases before the UKIPO and EUIPO tribunals. I also have extensive experience in litigating overseas, in particular in the US (New York), Canada and New Zealand. I am qualified in three separate jurisdictions and advise clients on English, Northern Irish and Irish/EU law matters.
Intellectual Property & Brands
In addition to general commercial disputes, my specialist focus lies in intellectual property disputes. In particular, I specialise in copyright, trademark and passing off disputes; trade secret /breach of confidentiality cases; design and patent disputes. I have represented commercial clients in a wide variety of cases, ranging from counterfeit, trademark / design invalidity, search and seizure (Anton Piller orders), Norwich Pharmacal orders, takedowns, third party disclosure orders and injunctions.
I also advise businesses and individuals on reputation management issues, data breaches, and other PR matters.
I am also recognised as a leading individual in intellectual property.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers 2024 (Intellectual Property (Northern Ireland)) - "His expertise in intellectual property and commercial law is truly outstanding." "He is incredibly knowledgeable and experienced in this area – a real specialist. Clients can be certain that the case will be expertly handled and analysed skilfully."
- Legal 500 2024 (Intellectual Property) - ‘Mathew had an excellent grasp of the details of the case and also a keen eye for strategy.’
- Hall of Fame in Legal 500 2024 (Intellectual Property)
- Legal 500 2023 (Reputation Management) ‘I dealt with Mathew Forde and his team. Our case was complex in terms of the convoluted structure of our association and affiliated branches internationally, however Mathew sifted through this and got to grips with it very early. I had 100% confidence in him at all times. He is very self-assured and that comes with the experience of having many successes over the years. During the covid restrictions, the team set up zoom meetings so we could continue communicating and their correspondence was always timely and accurate.’ ‘Mathew Forde is extremely competent in the area of IP. He remains very calm in all situations but targets specifically the key points of a case and deals with them swiftly and effectively. I really appreciated the sensitivity and empathy with which we were treated.’
- Legal 2023 (Intellectual property: Trade Marks, Copyright and Design) ‘strategic understanding’. ‘Mathew Forde worked with me on a highly complex trade mark/food regulatory dispute. Mathew had a very good strategic understanding of the case (it was a David vs Goliath dispute) plus a keen knowledge of the details of the case. He was a pleasure to work with and I know that the client was very impressed by his handling of the case.’
- Chambers 2023 (Intellectual Property (Northern Ireland)) "Mathew Forde provides practical, commercial advice with a keen eye for the strategic objectives of the client."
- Chambers 2022 (Intellectual Property) - 'He is extremely easy to work with, and I am consistently impressed with his integrity, diligence and clarity'
- Chambers 2022 (Intellectual Property) - 'Mathew is excellent - he is bright, well prepared and knowledgeable about the subject matter'