I have practised in the City for over 20 years, and have a wealth of experience advising senior executives, partners and businesses on all aspects of employment and partnership law.
I am particularly noted for my work advising senior individuals in the financial services sector. I regularly litigate some of the most complex sensitive and high value employment cases in the City.
I have long experience in obtaining substantial settlements on behalf of employers and senior individuals, both before and after litigation. I am highly recommended by both legal directories for my work in this area. Legal 500 have described me as “a very effective litigator and negotiator” and Chambers have stated that I have a strong reputation for advising and representing senior claimants in difficult negotiations and litigation”.
I advise regularly on sensitive discrimination cases, whistleblowing, and FCA regulatory matters. I cover both Employment Tribunal and High Court litigation. I frequently work on complex, high value bonus and breach of contract claims. I also advise on team moves and issues around enforcement of restrictive covenants. Further information on the type of work that I do can be found on the Supporting Individuals page.
I advise senior individuals drawn from all sectors, especially financial services, including private equity, hedge funds, and other asset management businesses. That typically covers members of LLPs as well as employees. I advise on individuals’ rights and liabilities, both on their entry to and exit from the business concerned. This can cover, by way of example, managing fiduciary and other duties, ensuring the preservation of carry entitlements on departure, maximising shareholder rights, and managing board disputes. I also advise regularly assist individuals who face certification and other regulatory issues under the FCA’s SMCR.
A major part of my work for employers is international in focus. Many of my corporate clients are headquartered abroad with UK operations. In particular, I advise many US and French businesses.
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2022 (Senior executives) - ‘Nicholas Hadaway’s ultimate focus is on what the client needs, 100% commercial and always has his eyes on the bigger picture’
- Legal 500 2022 (Senior executives) - ‘Nicholas Hadaway is a true professional with a heart of gold. His enormous generosity, consideration and thoughtfulness make him the trusted adviser that he is. He always has his client’s best interests at heart. It is a privilege to have been his client’
- Chambers 2021 (Employment: Senior Executive) - "He's a standout adviser; he's very good at cutting through all the noise with very pragmatic advice"
- Chambers 2021 (Employment: Senior Executive) - "He is a complete delight to work with; he has a wonderful client manner and is acutely sensitive to the needs of clients who are under immense pressure"
- Legal 500 2021 (Employment: Senior Executives) - 'Nicholas Hadaway is a top class operator’
- Legal 500 2021 (Employment: Senior Executives) - ‘Nicholas Hadaway is clever, determined and knows how to get a result'
- Who's Who Legal Global Leader - Labour & Employment (England) 2021
- Chambers 2020 – Nicholas Hadaway comes recommended as an "excellent lawyer who is detail-oriented, thorough, experienced and wise."
- Chambers 2020 Ranked - Employment: Senior Executive – London (Firms)
- Legal 500 2020 - Nicholas Hadaway is an expert in this field who aggressively represents his clients and knows how to get the best outcomes
- Chambers 2019 Ranked - Employment: Senior Executive - London (Firms)
- Chambers 2019 - Nicholas Hadaway has "an extremely careful eye for detail without losing the overall strategy."
- Chambers 2018 - Sources say he is "brilliant" and "happy to fight the most aggressive of bosses for his clients."
- Legal 500 2017 - Nicholas Hadaway, is ‘a standout solicitor for senior executives’ and ‘achieves fantastic outcomes’.
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - London (Firms), Employment: Senior Executives
- Nicholas Hadaway acts for senior executives on a wide range of employment law issues, with particular focus on the post-employment restrictions of senior employees. He often represents senior executives and individuals from the financial services sector.