My work concerns the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (including trade marks, copyright, patents, designs and confidential information) and technology disputes including pre-termination strategies and arbitration.
I am also a member of the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure and the Manufacturing and Engineering sector focus group. I have dealt with disputes in the County Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and the European Court of Justice and have extensive experience of both applying for and defending interim injunction applications. I also have extensive experience of developing and implementing internet enforcement initiatives to protect clients’ brands on the internet.
I am recognised as a leading expert in my field by all leading legal directories and have been appointed to the Nominet expert panel for the determination of domain name disputes.
My work concerns the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (including trade marks, copyright, patents, designs and confidential information) in all forums and with extensive experience of cross-jurisdictional issues. I act for clients in many different sectors including the retail, manufacturing, engineering, media, financial and technology sectors.
Notable cases that I have been involved in include:
- Cala v McAlpine
- Stoddard v William Lomas
- Coward v Phaestos
- Philips v Remington
- Gerber v Gerber
- Reckitt Benckiser v Home Pairfum
- Lush v Amazon
- Enterprise v Europcar
- Jack Wills v House of Fraser
- Hellermantyton v Tyco
- Collingwood v Aurora.
Trade Marks and Portfolio Management
I am recognised as a leading expert in the field of trade marks by all leading legal directories including Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’, Super Lawyers and World IP Review Leaders. Chambers and Partners ranks me as a leading individual in Intellectual Property and says “Simon Chapman is, according to sources, "one of the leading trade mark lawyers in London," and specialises in complex, high-stakes litigation. He is praised for his "deep intelligence," his "very good tactical judgement" and his rapport with clients.”
Notable trade mark cases that I have been involved in include: Philips v Remington; Gerber v Gerber; Reckitt Benckiser v Home Pairfum; Lush v Amazon; Enterprise v Europcar and Jack Wills v House of Fraser.
Retail, Hospitality and Leisure
I am recognised as an expert in the field of Intellectual Property by all leading legal directories including Managing Intellectual Property ‘IP Stars’, Super Lawyers and World IP Review Leaders which says “Master tactician” Simon Chapman is the man to speak to about infringements: “He can fix the biggest problems and is exceptionally capable.”
I work for a number of prominent retailers and has been involved in notable cases including Lush v Amazon; Enterprise v Europcar and Jack Wills v House of Fraser.
Awards and Recognition
- WTR 1000 2024 - 'Simon is a talented IP lawyer and very experienced litigator who is well respected and a go-to for all things trademarks in the UK and EU. He is responsive, knowledgeable, keeps calm under pressure, and provides excellent service.'
- Chambers 2024 (Intellectual Property – London (Firms)) - "Simon Chapman is incredible. He is a good strategist and has a wide knowledge of diverse areas of the law. He understands our business and does high-quality work. He is also time-conscious and very smart and savvy."
- Chambers 2023 (Intellectual Property – London (Firms) AND Law Firms with Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys) "Simon Chapman is a great litigator and very experienced."
- Chambers 2022 (Intellectual Property) - 'Simon is someone who really instils a great deal of confidence in clients and brings a sense of calm to the situation and leaves them in good hands'
- Chambers 2019 Ranked - Intellectual Property - London (Firms)
- Chambers 2019 - "He is a tenacious litigator who takes no prisoners, fights for the right result for his client while at the same time maintaining a commercial perspective."
- The World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2018 - Simon Chapman “provides sound and creative counsel, and does a terrific job defining the pros and cons of different actions”. When you follow his advice, you can achieve great results in litigation, opposition and cancellation proceedings – he can be recommended unconditionally.”
- Legal 500 2018 - A key name to note is head of the dispute resolution practice, Simon Chapman, who is described as having 'a great sixth sense in litigation'.