I am a Managing Associate working in the sport, fashion & entertainment and technology sectors.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts (2003) and a Bachelor of Laws (2008) awarded by National University of Ireland, Galway. I qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2012 after completing the Legal Practice Course.
I also hold a Post-Graduate Certificate in Sports Law awarded by De Montfort University in 2016 and am a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association.
Immigration & Global Mobility
My work is divided between the transfer of players and coaches in the sports industry and transfer of talent in the fashion and entertainment industry. I advise sports clubs, international federations, agencies and brands on the transfer of their talent globally and their compliance and regulatory responsibilities. Due to the fast pace of these industries the challenge is obtaining a successful outcome whilst ensuring compliance within tight timeframes.
I also provide commercial immigration advice for professional services firms and companies in the tech sector where there is a strong focus on compliance. I advise on the HR and recruitment process, visa applications and ensure record keeping and reporting are in place.
I advise sports clubs and agencies on the international transfer of players and coaches with a focus on football. I work closely with recruitment and analysis teams to review player’s eligibility for Governing Body Endorsements and advise on appeals where they do not meet the automatic criteria. I also advise on visa applications under Tier 5 and Tier 2 for players, coaches and their families.
I also have experience in assisting clubs and international federations with preparations for international travel for Champions League and Europa League, pre and post season tours and international tournaments and exhibitions games.
My recent work includes:
- Advising a football club on the recruitment and hire of a management team
- Acting for clubs on 8 GBE appeals in summer 2018, all successful
- Acting on the transfer of 12 players in Premier League and Championship during summer 2018
- Advising clubs on issues relating to ‘Professional Sports person’ and their recruitment at Academy level
- Advising clubs and providing training on the potential impacts of Brexit
Fashion & Entertainment
I advise a number of top model agencies and retailers on the mobility and transfer of their talent.
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2021 (Immigration) - ‘Stephen O’Flaherty is the best immigration lawyer I have worked with in my years dealing with global mobility. He goes above and beyond to help with quirky or difficult situations, is very responsive and incredibly personable. He is highly is trusted by my company – even those who don’t work directly with him are aware of both the good working relationship we have and also his expert knowledge’