I am a Partner in the Immigration & Global Mobility team.
I deal with all areas of UK business, sport, high-net worth immigration and global mobility co-ordination. I advise across industry sectors with a particular focus on Technology, Financial Services, Engineering, Charities and Pharma.
Prior to joining Lewis Silkin in August 2021, I was a partner in the Immigration team at an international law firm for 8 years. I have been a Corporate/Business Immigration and Global Mobility specialist since 2004.
I hold an LLB in Law awarded from Kingston University in 2002. I then went on to complete the Bar Vocational Course (BVC) at BPP in 2003. I continued as a non-practicing Barrister and cross-qualified as a Solicitor in 2009.
I am a member of the Immigration Lawyers Practitioners Association (ILPA) and the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple.
Immigration & Global Mobility
I have extensive experience advising corporate clients on UK in-bound immigration and global mobility programs. I specialise in all aspects of the UK’s Points Based (Immigration) System and support sponsor licence holders with Home Office audits and assurance calls.
I also specialise in applications under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS), including late applications, and have provided application support and training to corporate clients with EEA national employees.
I have developed a niche expertise in Global Business Mobility – Service Supplier (previously T5 International Agreement Contractual Service Supplier) sponsorship. I regularly advise and support sponsor licence holders on downgrades and suspension and have successfully secured re-instatement of revoked licences. I have acted for elite sportspersons and teams on Governing Body Endorsements regarding prerequisites to International Sportsperson sponsorship and visa applications.
I advise on the immigration aspects following complex company restructures or M&A. I also deal with corporate clients regarding their out-bound Global Mobility by advising on policies and co-ordination of visa applications.
Examples of my experience include:
- Advising and supporting European Headquartered banks with UK branches on the acquisition of sponsor licences and transfer of executives from the EU to the UK after the end of freedom of movement.
- Advising IT companies on transfer of employees to the UK. Supporting start-ups and established technology businesses with sponsor licence applications and subsequent sponsorship of employees under the Global Business Mobility – Senior or Specialist Worker and Skilled Worker routes. Advising IT companies on the complicated ‘working at client site’ rules.
- Advising hotel chains on post-Brexit UK immigration requirements and supporting their employees with application under the EUSS. Advising on right to work check policies and procedures and successfully challenging illegal working civil penalty fines.
- Advising broadcasters and leading VFX houses on Creative Worker sponsorship. Successfully securing entry into the UK of an A-list Hollywood actor who was detained after travelling with an incorrect visa.
- Advising UK and overseas organisations on T5 International Agreement Contractual Service Supplier sponsorship applications to secure the entry of foreign specialist engineers.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Immigration: Business (UK–wide)) "Supinder Sian is an excellent adviser."
- Legal 500 2023 (Immigration) ‘Supinder Sian – the gold standard for legal support in a complex and ever-changing area. Supinder is always able to find a solution to any problem we have. He is responsive, even at unsociable hours. We simply could not function without him!’
- Chambers 2022 (Immigration) - 'Innovative technically and solution-oriented - very impressive'
- Chambers 2022 (Immigration) - 'Gives very pragmatic advice and is quick to respond'