Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin office.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
In 2016 we were delighted to have been nominated for the FT Innovative Lawyers award in the Innovation in Human Resources category for our rockhopper service. You can read more about the nomination in our press release.
- "The team is a real market leader; they are very knowledgeable, have huge strength in depth and offer very good value for money compared to other firms," (Chambers 2018)
- "We have a very high regard for the services we get from Lewis Silkin. The lawyers are accessible at all times and the advice is always sound." (Chambers 2018)
- The team "offers a high level of client service" and "is very responsive, providing extremely thorough advice." (Chambers 2018)
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
Three-quarters have furloughed staff, despite warning it should be used as last option - James Davies comments for HR Review10 April 2020
James Davies comments on this article by HR Review that despite warnings employers should refrain from the furlough of staff and only use it once all other options have failed, three-quarters of employers have already done so or plan to do in the future.
Senior Japanese politician takes paternity leave in first for country23 January 2020
Changes to Hong Kong tax concessions07 November 2019
The Inland Revenue (Amendment) (Tax Concessions) Bill 2019 was passed by the Legislative Council on 6 November 2019.
Managing an International Workforce 2019 & Beyond08 February 2019
We are pleased to announce our fifteenth annual Managing an International Workforce conference, our market leading gathering of several hundred HR professionals, in house lawyers and others with international employment responsibilities.
Hong Kong HR Breakfast Club – 2018 Employment and Immigration Law Round-Up16 January 2019
The Lewis Silkin Hong Kong team are delighted to invite you to our first HR Breakfast Club session of 2019 where we will be discussing some of the key employment and immigration law developments over the past year.
Richard Miskella comments for HR Magazine on the new government harassment code of practice18 December 2018
Richard Miskella has commented for HR managzine on the government's announcement that it will work with the EHRC on a new code
Beware sending capped up emails: It could get you fired@@@!!!17 December 2018
James Davies commented in an article for The Telegraph discussing how capitalised emails are equivalent to shouting at employees in person and can lead to complaints or disciplinary action.
How should hospitality employers deal with third-party harassment at Christmas parties?17 December 2018
“Christmas time is here by golly; disapproval would be folly; Deck the halls with hunks of holly, fill the cup and don’t say when”, as the legendary American satirist Tom Lehrer once sang. But Christmas party season can be a mixed blessing. The day after the office party, you will find many HR managers bracing themselves to hear what happened the night before…