I am Partner in the firm’s Advertising & Marketing team, and was named Next Generation Partner for Brand Management in the Legal 500 2019 Rankings. I provide legal advice in relation to all kinds of brand-led content, including advertising and marketing campaigns, social and PR, on a range of legal and regulatory issues.
I have particular expertise in the advertising, marketing and promotions sectors. I advise numerous well known ad agencies, and some of the biggest brands in the world, in relation to their advertising campaigns and sales promotions. I also advise several trade bodies in the advertising, marketing and PR industries.
I provide strategic advice for UK, multi-jurisdictional and global campaigns. I advise in relation to all media, including social media, and all types of creative content. I deal with a range of issues, including specific intellectual property queries (copyright, moral rights, trade marks, passing off, etc), as well as regulatory issues (e.g. CAP/BCAP Codes), consumer protection, gambling issues, and data and privacy. I provide regulatory and pre-clearance advice, and am experienced in successfully defending ads and advertising campaigns from ASA complaints/investigations. I also advise and assist in relation to independent reviews of the ASA’s rulings.
I review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including client-agency contracts, endorsement agreements, etc. I assisted the IPA (Institute of Practitioners in Advertising) Legal Helpdesk and have spent several months on secondment to a large broadcaster.
I like nothing more than painting, reading, skiing, clay pigeon shooting, travelling and being out in the sunshine whenever possible.
Brands & IP
I understand that clients and their agencies work to increasingly demanding deadlines, on a global basis, and they want our help in meeting urgent needs and high standards with minimal fuss. I provide clear, concise, and practical advice, with a view to helping clients achieve their ideal outcome.
My clients are a range of very well-known brand owners, leading independent and international advertising and creative agencies, their networks, publishers and content owners.
On a typical day I might advise on international sales promotions, clear a script, storyboard, digital or print ad, deal with ASA investigations, advise on an innovative social media strategy or data protection query, provide training to a client, or draft or negotiate a content agreement, vlogger agreement, etc.
Advertising & Marketing
I am experienced in advising both agencies and brands and, having worked in house and having advised some of the best ad agencies in the country, I have an excellent understanding of the needs on both agency and client side. I advise all industry sectors on their advertising and sales promotions across all media and am particularly experienced in working on campaigns for technology, mobile communications, fashion, motoring and alcohol brands.
I have written articles for Lewis Silkin’s various NewsNotes, Newsflashes and Client Guides, and I’m involved with writing articles for Digital Doughnut and other online and print publications. I have also given training sessions at our Breakfast Briefings as well as at clients’ own offices.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2022 (Media & Entertainment) - 'Geraint is always detailed and provides prompt, effective responses to all queries'
- Chambers 2022 (Media & Entertainment) - 'He is very calm, very collected, knowledgeable and very experienced'
- Legal 500 2022 (Commercial contracts) - 'Geraint Lloyd-Taylor – Loves the creative sector, especially advertising, and his passion for it shines through'
- Legal 500 2022 (Media and entertainment (including media finance)) - ‘Geraint Lloyd-Taylor deserves recognition for his approachability, reactiveness and market-knowledge. Navigating advertising regulations often involves making judgment calls and operating in “grey” areas. Geraint brings clarity to those areas (based on his market experience), and is a trusted voice. I highly value his opinion’
- Chambers 2019 Associates to watch - Media & Entertainment: Advertising & Marketing - UK-wide
- Chambers 2019 - "He is a fantastic lawyer - cool-headed under pressure, commercial, and he has a great eye for detail."