I head up our Dispute Resolution group. I specialise in the resolution of complex commercial disputes.
Much of my work has an international focus and I work regularly with lawyers from different jurisdictions. I have extensive experience of international and domestic litigation, including at appellate level.
I am among a small number of lawyers ranked in Chambers as a 'Notable Practitioner' for Commercial and Corporate Litigation (2019-2021). I've been described as demonstrating "considerable aptitude in complex cross-border cases", with "great judgment [and] a very good sense of what is commercial”, a "respected practitioner" and "well known in the market for handling a broad spread of corporate and commercial litigation”.
My ability to run heavy cases has consistently been recognised in Legal 500 (2016-2021) where I've been described as a "stand out performer”, “highly motivated” and “exceptionally approachable, with a roll-your-sleeves-up mentality". I have been praised for "superior case management skills", "great results", "first rate client management skills" and a "calm, confident and unflappable” approach.
My clients are diverse, ranging from multi-national corporates to start-up companies and I often act for high net-worth individuals, fellow professionals, marcoms agencies, tech companies and major brand owners. I have a particular interest in insolvency issues and I regularly act for and against Insolvency Practitioners.
I am Vice Chair of The City of London Law Society's Litigation Committee. I'm also a member of International Bar Association's Litigation Committee.
A major part of my work is before the various divisions of the High Court in London and in particular the Commercial Court. My cases often require emergency applications for injunctive relief and I am used to attending court on short notice. In appropriate instances I make effective use of ADR to achieve my clients’ objectives. I have also acted in a number of arbitrations over the years. Examples of past cases include post transaction claims for breach of warranty and indemnity, claims against directors for breach of duty, shareholder disputes and investor claims, IT disputes regarding code performance and software development, partnership disputes, unpaid commission and fee claims, professional negligence claims, trust disputes, civil fraud and bailment and conversion claims.
I regularly act for and against Insolvency Practitioners in contentious matters and have acted in unlawful distribution, antecedent transaction, misfeasance, wrongful trading and ROT/complex lien claims. Together with colleagues in our Corporate practice group I work alongside Insolvency Practitioners to advise distressed businesses, helping companies and directors to manage insolvency risk and to protect assets, sometimes with assistance from the Court. Over the years I have advised extensively in relation to counterparty insolvency and I regularly help our clients to devise strategies to limit damage and/or minimise risk.
Advertising & Marketing
I am a member of our Advertising and Marketing sector group. I have had the pleasure of working alongside a number of our creative clients for 20 years, helping to protect their interests and manage risk. Over this period I have advised on a wide range of agreements and issues, including disputes over service levels and performance, issues with talent, clients and sub-contractors, fee recovery, failed campaigns and events and termination issues. The legal issues are often complex, involving multiple parties, but my objective is always to provide clear and practical advice which best serves my client’s commercial objectives.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers 2019-2021 - “Notable Practitioner” Commercial and Corporate Litigation - London (Firms)
- Chambers 2021 – ‘shows great judgment… a very good sense of what is commercial and always has the client's interest at heart’ ‘pays considerable attention to detail and can effectively plan and manage a case to achieve a strong tactical position’ (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- Chambers 2020 - ‘considerable aptitude in complex cross-border cases’ ‘excellent, [giving] good, practical litigation advice’
- Chambers 2019 - ‘a respected practitioner...’ (Corporate and Commercial Litigation) ‘well known in the market for handling a broad spread of corporate and commercial litigation’ (Litigation)
- Legal 500 2021 – ‘leads the team with unflappable brilliance… a very bright, knowledgeable lawyer’ ‘stand out performer... highly motivated... excellent with clients on difficult cases’
- Legal 500 2020 - ‘exceptionally approachable, with a roll-your-sleeves-up mentality’
- Legal 500 2019 - ‘calm, confident and unflappable and a number of major corporate clients turn to him without hesitation when litigation is on the horizon’
- Legal 500 2018 - 'Client management skills are first rate'
- Legal 500 2017 - ‘gets great results’