Lewis Silkin's trainee information.
Applications for 2020 Trainee Contract intake are now open. Apply here
- a commercial, full-service law firm with over 340 staff. Offices in London, Cardiff, Oxford and Hong Kong
- a firm whose ethos revolves around relationships rather than numbers
- a firm which believes that the best route to success is investing in relationships with our clients, our people and the markets we serve
- a firm which has a higher proportion of legal experts than almost any other leading comparator (Legal 500 and Chambers)
- a firm which has made the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For every year since 2009
- a firm which truly values the importance of work-life balance
- a firm which values and promotes diversity through being a signatory member of the Law Society’s Diversity and Inclusion Charter, membership of the Employers’ Network for Equality & Inclusion and active involvement in CSR and social inclusion activities
- Member of two global legal alliances - Ius Laboris (employment and pensions law) and the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance
What we offer?
From the minute you join us, you will be actively involved in Lewis Silkin life. Not only will you be given responsibility and interesting and varied work, you will also be getting hands-on training, a chance to work with some of our big named clients, and most importantly, made to feel a key member of the team.
What makes us different and what do we offer?
- four six-month seats across our two business divisions: Creators, Makers and Innovators (CMI) and Employment, Immigration and Reward (EIR) - sitting within legal practice groups such as Employment, Immigration, Brands & Intellectual Property, Commercial, Dispute Resolution, Corporate and Real Estate
- a chance to work with leaders in their field or to be seconded to one of our key clients
- small trainee intake meaning responsibility from the word go and recognised as individuals
- working with a range of clients from start-ups to established multinationals
- an allocated seat supervisor for each rotation, and a dedicated Training Partner to monitor your progress
- high quality training and opportunities for development
- appraisals during and at the end of each seat
- supportive culture and friendly environment
So, what do you stand to gain? Friends, experiences, skills and a great start to your career as a solicitor.
Pay & Benefits
- £36,000 starting salary
- 25 days holiday
- season ticket loan
- childcare vouchers
- life assurance
- group income protection
- private healthcare
- bonus schemes
- emergency backup child and elder care service
- cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- group pension scheme
- bonus day’s holiday for good attendance record
- recruitment bounty
- subsidised café
- informal business attire policy
- subsidised conveyancing costs
Full financial support for GDL and LPC course fees and a maintenance grant of £6,500 for those commencing their GDL/ LPC. Our preferred supplier is BPP.
Work Life Balance
"Is there a good work-life balance?" There may be times when you will have to stay late or work beyond your core hours. That said, we really do have a genuine commitment to getting the right balance, and recognise that this is a key feature in attracting and retaining talented people.
Here are some of our work-life balance initiatives within the firm:
- flexible working arrangements
- enhanced maternity and paternity schemes
- subsidised staff canteen
- regular social events
- subsidised gym membership
- regular massage/reflexology sessions
- 'Dress for LS' policy - we want our staff to be comfortable at work so we have a less formal dress code
- our qualified associates have a target of 1200 hours (chargeable work) per annum, so there should still be time for you to have a great life outside work too