I am a partner in the Dispute Resolution team. My practice focuses on domestic and cross-border litigation and dispute resolution.
I am admitted in England and Wales as both a barrister and a solicitor. I am also admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong and as a legal practitioner in the British Virgin Islands.
I have extensive experience advising major corporate clients, financial institutions and high net worth individuals and have acted for clients in a number of industries, including telecoms, accountancy, finance, insurance, mining, pharmaceuticals and transport.
I have particular expertise in fraud and economic tort claims, professional liability, shareholder and joint venture disputes, trust disputes, jurisdictional issues and asset-tracing/enforcement matters.
I have advised on several large-scale disputes before the English High Court, including:
- Advising senior executives of a multinational corporation in a $1.5bn claim for conspiracy to injure;
- Advising a multinational telecoms company in a £100m+ claim involving breach of fiduciary duty;
- Advising an international bank on a £100m+ professional liability claim against its former legal advisers;
- Advising a large corporate entity on a high value application for the rectification of its pension trust deed.
In addition to my London-based work I have acted in litigation and arbitral matters involving emerging markets such as Zimbabwe and Pakistan. I have also worked in Hong Kong and the British Virgin Islands. While in Hong Kong I defended a $1.5 billion professional indemnity claim against one of the Big 4 accountancy firms. In the British Virgin Islands I advised on, among other matters, a $600 million economic tort claim involving Russian parties and off-shore corporate entities.
I am a member of the Technology sector group. I have advised Technology clients across a range of issues, including complex relationship or service agreements, shareholder disputes and breach of confidence. I have also undertaken secondments to two multinational telecom companies. Examples of my work include:
- Advising a leading telecom company in a contract dispute. The dispute was valued at £10m+ and centered on whether competing fiber networks were “equivalent” products
- Advising a leading telecom company on the termination of a service agreement and, in particular, whether the company had been induced to enter the agreement by reason of fraudulent misrepresentation
- Advising a technology company on claims for breach of confidence and fiduciary duty. The claim arose out of an ex-employee’s use of confidential code developed during the course of his employment by the relevant company
I also help my clients avoid formal disputes and have successfully settled a number of matters through mediation and other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
I am a member of the Professional Services sector group. I have advised extensively on professional service disputes, particularly claims relating to professional liability. I have also undertaken a secondment with the Office of General Counsel at a Big 4 accounting firm, during which time my focus related to disputes involving business recovery and tax professionals.
Examples of my work include:
- Advising a Big 4 accountancy firm on a $1.5 billion audit negligence claim
- Advising numerous law firms on complex professional liability claims
- Advising on claims against surveyors, particularly claims involving property valuation issues in securitization transactions
I have also provided a number of talks and written articles on liability issues for professional clients.
I am also a member of the Financial Services sector group. I have advised banks, asset managers and investor clients across a range of issues. Examples of my work include:
- Advising a wealth management institution on professional liability claims arising out its investment advice
- Advising a bank on a £100m+ claim arising out of a liability management exercise
- Advising a bank in a dispute relating to “repo” finance transactions
- Advising on derivative mis-selling disputes.
While the disputes on which I advise are often complex I am constantly focused on delivering timely, practical and cost-effective results for my clients.
- 1999 England and Wales Barrister
- 2002 England and Wales - Solicitor
- 2008 Hong Kong - Solicitor
- 2014 British Virgin Islands Solicitor
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Commercial and Corporate Litigation – London (Firms)) "Andrew is excellent. He is unflappable, determined in pursuit of his clients' interests and very easy to deal with." "He is a very experienced lawyer who can think outside the box. He is also willing and able to explore ideas outside his immediate experience and gives sound advice once he has done his research."
- Chambers 2022 - Ranked in Commercial and Corporate Litigation – London (Firms)
- Chambers 2022 (Commercial and Corporate Litigation) - 'Andrew is calm, astute and thoughtful'
- Chambers 2022 (Commercial and Corporate Litigation) - 'He is one of the most conscientious and diligent legal professionals I have met - I am delighted to know that he is in my corner'
- Chambers 2022 (Commercial and Corporate Litigation) - 'He is responsive, thorough and great to work with'
- Legal 500 2022 - ‘Andrew Wanambwa is very determined on behalf of clients. Andrew knows exactly how to build up a strong case, and has a particular skill in not leaving any loopholes for the opponents to take advantage of – and he is is tough but realistic about hammering out the best possible out-of-court resolution for clients‘
- Legal 500 2020 – “I would not hesitate to recommend him in any dispute”
- Legal 500 2019 - "Andrew Wanambwa is an outstanding commercial litigator, who has a calm and assured manner, but works extremely hard to achieve the desired result for clients – a class act in the London litigation scene"