I am a partner in the Dispute Resolution team. My practice focuses on domestic and cross-border litigation and dispute resolution.
I am admitted in England and Wales as both a barrister and a solicitor. I am also admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong and as a legal practitioner in the British Virgin Islands.
I have extensive experience advising major corporate clients, financial institutions and high net worth individuals and have acted for clients in a number of industries, including telecoms, accountancy, finance, insurance, mining, pharmaceuticals and transport.
I have particular expertise in fraud and economic tort claims, professional liability, shareholder and joint venture disputes, trust disputes, jurisdictional issues and asset-tracing/enforcement matters.
I have advised on several large-scale disputes before the English High Court, including:
- Advising a multinational telecoms company in a £100m+ claim involving breach of fiduciary duty;
- Advising an international bank on a £100m+ professional liability claim against its former legal advisers;
- Advising a large corporate entity on a high value application for the rectification of its pension trust deed.
In addition to my London-based work I have acted in litigation and arbitral matters involving emerging markets such as Zimbabwe and Pakistan. I have also worked in Hong Kong and the British Virgin Islands. While in Hong Kong I defended a $1.5 billion professional indemnity claim against one of the Big 4 accountancy firms. In the British Virgin Islands I advised on, among other matters, a $600 million economic tort claim involving Russian parties and off-shore corporate entities.
I am a member of the Technology sector group. I have advised Technology clients across a range of issues, including complex relationship or service agreements, shareholder disputes and breach of confidence. I have also undertaken secondments to two multinational telecom companies. Examples of my work include:
- Advising a leading telecom company in a contract dispute. The dispute was valued at £10m+ and centered on whether competing fiber networks were “equivalent” products
- Advising a leading telecom company on the termination of a service agreement and, in particular, whether the company had been induced to enter the agreement by reason of fraudulent misrepresentation
- Advising a technology company on claims for breach of confidence and fiduciary duty. The claim arose out of an ex-employee’s use of confidential code developed during the course of his employment by the relevant company
I also help my clients avoid formal disputes and have successfully settled a number of matters through mediation and other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
I am a member of the Professional Services sector group. I have advised extensively on professional service disputes, particularly claims relating to professional liability. I have also undertaken a secondment with the Office of General Counsel at a Big 4 accounting firm, during which time my focus related to disputes involving business recovery and tax professionals.
Examples of my work include:
- Advising a Big 4 accountancy firm on a $1.5 billion audit negligence claim
- Advising numerous law firms on complex professional liability claims
- Advising on claims against surveyors, particularly claims involving property valuation issues in securitization transactions
I have also provided a number of talks and written articles on liability issues for professional clients.
I am also a member of the Financial Services sector group. I have advised banks, asset managers and investor clients across a range of issues. Examples of my work include:
- Advising a wealth management institution on professional liability claims arising out its investment advice
- Advising a bank on a £100m+ claim arising out of a liability management exercise
- Advising a bank in a dispute relating to “repo” finance transactions
- Advising on derivative mis-selling disputes.
While the disputes on which I advise are often complex I am constantly focused on delivering timely, practical and cost-effective results for my clients.
- 1999 England and Wales Barrister
- 2002 England and Wales - Solicitor
- 2008 Hong Kong - Solicitor
- 2014 British Virgin Islands Solicitor
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2020 - "Andrew Wanambwa is an outstanding commercial litigator, who has a calm and assured manner, but works extremely hard to achieve the desired result for clients – a class act in the London litigation scene"
- Legal 500 2018 - Andrew Wanambwa is also highly rated.