I am a Managing Associate, in the Employment, Immigration and Reward division. I joined Lewis Silkin in 2022, as part of the firm’s Manchester office.
I specialise in supporting businesses going through corporate restructures, reorganisations and other change projects. I also have a particular focus on trade union and industrial relations issues, senior executive appointments and exits.
I have a varied practice which includes advising on a broad range of both contentious and non-contentious matters. My contentious experience includes acting for employers in relation to complex and high value discrimination and whistleblowing claims in the Employment Tribunals and the appellate Courts. I have extensive experience advising clients in the transport sector with a particular interest in industrial relations issues including trade union recognition, collective disputes and negotiating changes to terms and conditions.
My non-contentious work includes providing strategic advice to clients on:
- large-scale business re-organisations involving the application and operation of TUPE;
- collective redundancy exercises;
- outsourcing and transitional service arrangements; and
- general mergers and acquisitions (acquisition and disposals).
I also have experience of multi-jurisdictional transactions including international outsourcing projects.
I am a member of Lewis Silkin’s specialist TUPE and IR teams
I use the experience gained during my secondments to clients in the aviation industry to provide pragmatic, commercially focused advice. I understand the demands and complexities of being ‘client side’ and the need for concise, solutions focused advice.
- advising a hospitality client on the employment aspects, including the application of TUPE, arising from the disposal of two operational hotels and newly formed joint venture;
- advising on the exit of a senior executive of a listed company, balancing the employment risks and strategy with the corporate governance obligations; and
- advising on the acquisition and merger of a major social media and entertainment company by its main competitor, providing advice on several collective redundancy exercises, TUPE obligations and harmonisation of terms and conditions.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers 2024 (Employment (North West)) - "Carly is a very talented lawyer. She builds strong relationships with the business by offering pragmatic advice that they can digest and understand easily. She can calm the most stressful situation and uses her experience and intuition to advise. She is excellent at helping us to navigate tricky situations and achieving an outcome which is right for our business."
- Rising Star in Legal 500 2024 (Employment - North West) - ‘Carly Mather is a hugely talented rising star in the team. Superb case management skills.’
- Legal 500 2024 (Employment) - ‘Carly Mather is a joy to work with. Easy to get along with and an extremely warm and friendly approach. She is razor sharp and strategically astute.’