We have a long track record in acting for individuals in a variety of sectors, most notably within financial services.
Our services include:
- challenging bonus awards
- advising on post-termination restrictions in employment contracts and share plans
- pursuing sex, race, disability, and age discrimination complaints
- protecting whistleblowers
- advising on FCA approved status and FCA remuneration code issues
Our track record
We are one of a handful of teams ranked highly in both principal legal directories (Legal 500 and Chambers), for our work advising senior individuals in the City and elsewhere. We are recognised, by employers and their lawyers alike, as a powerful, highly experienced advocate for our clients’ rights. Legal 500 has even gone so far as to describe us as “the mighty Lewis Silkin” – a recognition of the fact that many of the most senior individuals in their respective fields come to us because they know that our formidable reputation can often prompt an early, fair settlement.
We have for years acted in many of the country’s leading employment cases. We pride ourselves in enabling our clients to reach highly satisfactory out of court settlements, which means that most of our cases do not ever reach the press.
The following are examples of some of the cases in which we have recently been involved:
- acting for a chief executive on their engagement by a FTSE 100 company
- representing individuals in “team moves” between two competitors
- acting for a hedge fund manager in a multi-million pound claim against a leading investment bank, relating to alleged management malpractice
- representing a group of senior individuals in a whistleblowing claim, involving serious FCA irregularities, against a major investment bank - the case settled before trial for a substantial seven figure sum
- successfully pursuing a sex discrimination claim on behalf of a senior female director of a private equity firm, made redundant weeks after her return from maternity leave
- advising an FCA approved individual on his duties and obligations, in the context of a complex disciplinary investigation
- providing guidance to a board director on protecting his position while observing his fiduciary and statutory obligations, in a fast moving boardroom dispute
We are able to draw on our substantial expertise in relevant specialist areas, notably FCA regulatory issues (including the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR)) and tax.
Proposed updates to Irish whistleblowing legislation31 March 2022
The Irish Government has published an updated version of the Protected Disclosures (Amendment) Bill 2022 (the Bill), which will amend current Irish whistleblowing legislation to strengthen the protection for whistleblowers in Ireland.
Innocent partners may not be liable for losses caused by the fraudulent conduct of rogue partners28 July 2021
In July 2021 the Court of Appeal held that innocent partners in a firm of solicitors are not always liable to former clients of the firm for losses caused by the acts of a fraudulent partner[i].
Setting up a competing business03 September 2020
Many owner-managers and entrepreneurs plan to start new businesses in the same space as their current one. Managing this transition effectively is often the key to success in the new business and getting it wrong can result in the new business failing before it has even started.