POSTPONED: Global Advertising Lawyers’ Alliance: Global Advertising in an Age of Crisis and Change
- 26 March 2020
We have made the difficult decision to postpone this event until the 18th March 2021. We hope that you will be able to join us then.
We would like to invite you to the Global Advertising Lawyers’ Alliance Annual Advertising Law Conference – “Global Advertising in an Age of Crisis and Change”. We are delighted to announce that for the first time, our global conference will be held in London at the beautiful Ham Yard Hotel in Soho, near Piccadilly Circus.
Join us for an afternoon of panels, plenaries and workshops, with expert guest speakers from around the globe and key figures from advertising regulation, followed by a networking party.
A key theme of the conference will be the challenges of international advertising law and regulation.
We are delighted to be joined by Guy Parker, Chief Executive of the Advertising Standards Authority in the United Kingdom and Vice-President of the International Council for Ad Self-Regulation (ICAS). Brinsley Dresden will be interviewing Guy, who will set the scene with a whistle-stop tour of the big issues for advertising regulators at the start of the new decade.
Guy will then be joined on a panel by some of the leading advertising regulators from Europe and North America: from the USA, Laura Brett, Vice President of National Advertising Division (or ‘NAD’ - the US equivalent of the ASA); from Canada, Catherine Bate, Chief Legal and Policy Officer at Ad Standards; and finally, from Europe, Justina Raižytė, Head of Development and Policy, European Advertising Standards Alliance. The panel will be highlighting the major challenges currently facing regulators internationally and on a cross-border basis.
The afternoon will include the following plenary sessions:
- Levelling the playing field: strategies for combating misleading competitor advertising around the world
- Making the future better than the past: How are changing attitudes to diversity being reflected in global advertising?
You will then have the option to choose between 1 of 4 break-out sessions:
- The Climate Crisis: Responses to the climate crisis with environmental claims in advertising for the automotive, energy and other sectors
- The Obesity Crisis: How can advertisers of HFSS respond and continue to promote their products in an increasingly hostile environment?
- The Health Crisis: Are regulators infantilising consumers of traditional products, such as beer, wine and spirits? What about new products, such as vaping, e-cigarettes and cannabis based products? Is the world simultaneously encouraging the promotion of these innovative but controversial products?
- The Crisis of Trust: Can consumers trust influencers and brands on social media? What are the regulators doing to restore or even create trust in marketing on social media?
Each session will comprise a panel including lawyers from North and South America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, as well as Asia and Australasia
After the insight sharing part of the afternoon, we will be welcoming you to a networking evening of food and drink, with a chance to mingle not only with the other delegates, but also with the GALA lawyers from around the world.
GALA (Global Advertising Lawyers’ Alliance) is a best of breed network of advertising lawyers from around the world, representing more than 80 countries in five continents. Lewis Silkin is sole UK member of GALA and a recognised leader in the field of Advertising and Marketing Law in the UK.
If you have any queries, please contact our events team.