Employment is a central focus of our business, with over 160 lawyers in our team supporting our clients in managing their people.
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for two decades, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius Laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin and Belfast offices.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
I don't know why a company would use another firm for employment advice: Lewis Silkin has fantastic lawyers who offer excellent, commercial advice and charge substantially less than bigger City firms. They have an unparalleled breadth of offerings (all of which we have used).
Legal 500 2022
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes - with a track record of leading precedent setting cases on issues of the day. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- Chambers and Legal 500 have rated us as a Tier 1 practice for over a decade and this year name 28 of our partners as “leaders in their field”.
- Who’s Who Legal have twice named us “Global Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions” for two years running. 15 of our lawyers are currently ranked in Who’s Who - substantially more than any other firm in the UK.
- “The size of the team means that there is extraordinary strength in depth and an unrivalled degree of expertise across all aspects of employment law. The Lawyers are also responsive, commercial and down to earth” (Chambers 2022)
- “Lewis Silkin has provided my team with exceptional support and advice over the years. They are true partners in the way they work with not only our in-house lawyers but other key stakeholders in our business. We rely on them as trusted advisers for all of our key cases and decisions in the employment sphere.” (Legal 500 2022)
- “Extraordinary strength in depth. Excellent training and empowering of associates means that everyone in the team can be relied upon to provide exceptional work.” (Legal 500 2022)
- “Lewis Silkin operate at the highest level of employment law expertise and undertake many cutting-edge cases. There are few solicitors’ firms which attain such high analytical standards and show such in-depth legal knowledge.” (Legal 500 2021)
- “An employment practice in terms of strength and depth of quality of team they are just unrivalled; for any issue they have an expert who’s dealt with it already, and the finished product is always very good.” (Chambers 2021)
- “The team is exceptionally efficient, always keen to meet deadlines and really tailors the advice they offer to the individual needs of the client.” (Legal 500 2021 - Wales)
- “Great commercial advice in employment matters. Very customer focused and delivery orientated.” (Legal 500 2021 - Thames Valley)
Immigration Law Academy - November 202209 November 2022
As the UK continues to experience significant skills shortages, it is vital for HR professionals to understand the options within the immigration system for employers to secure international talent and to keep up-to-date with changes.
The engagement landscape: labour supply solutions and risks18 October 2022
The engagement landscape of today is markedly different to what we had several years ago – and use of third party staffing suppliers, known as employment businesses, is on the up.
What’s happening in employment law12 October 2022
Our regular review will examine major recent and upcoming employment law developments.
Hong Kong HR Breakfast Club06 October 2022
Implied term of anti-avoidance in an employment contract – What employers should know
Lewis Silkin receives Tier 1 ranking in Legal 500 UK 2023 for Employment, M&A and Media and Entertainment29 September 2022
Lewis Silkin continues to receive strong recognition in the latest edition of the Legal 500 UK released yesterday, earning 82 individual lawyer and practice rankings. In this edition we have seven top tier practice rankings, one new entry and three improved rankings.
Sponsorship of workers in the UK28 September 2022
Due to the current low unemployment rate in the UK and the effects of Brexit on movement of workers, more employers are applying for or holding sponsor licences to recruit workers from abroad.The benefits of holding one or more sponsor licences can be substantial.
Hong Kong Government lifts compulsory quarantine requirement – what employers need to know27 September 2022
New relaxed rules for inbound travellers