Employment is a central focus of our business, with over 160 lawyers in our team supporting our clients in managing their people.
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for two decades, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius Laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin and Belfast offices.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
I don't know why a company would use another firm for employment advice: Lewis Silkin has fantastic lawyers who offer excellent, commercial advice and charge substantially less than bigger City firms. They have an unparalleled breadth of offerings (all of which we have used).
Legal 500 2022
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes - with a track record of leading precedent setting cases on issues of the day. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- Chambers and Legal 500 have rated us as a Tier 1 practice for over a decade and this year name 28 of our partners as “leaders in their field”.
- Who’s Who Legal have twice named us “Global Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions” for two years running. 15 of our lawyers are currently ranked in Who’s Who - substantially more than any other firm in the UK.
- “The size of the team means that there is extraordinary strength in depth and an unrivalled degree of expertise across all aspects of employment law. The Lawyers are also responsive, commercial and down to earth” (Chambers 2022)
- “Lewis Silkin has provided my team with exceptional support and advice over the years. They are true partners in the way they work with not only our in-house lawyers but other key stakeholders in our business. We rely on them as trusted advisers for all of our key cases and decisions in the employment sphere.” (Legal 500 2022)
- “Extraordinary strength in depth. Excellent training and empowering of associates means that everyone in the team can be relied upon to provide exceptional work.” (Legal 500 2022)
- “Lewis Silkin operate at the highest level of employment law expertise and undertake many cutting-edge cases. There are few solicitors’ firms which attain such high analytical standards and show such in-depth legal knowledge.” (Legal 500 2021)
- “An employment practice in terms of strength and depth of quality of team they are just unrivalled; for any issue they have an expert who’s dealt with it already, and the finished product is always very good.” (Chambers 2021)
- “The team is exceptionally efficient, always keen to meet deadlines and really tailors the advice they offer to the individual needs of the client.” (Legal 500 2021 - Wales)
- “Great commercial advice in employment matters. Very customer focused and delivery orientated.” (Legal 500 2021 - Thames Valley)
Mock Employment Tribunal14 July 2022
Employment Tribunal claims have increased during the pandemic, and many hearings are still taking place entirely online.
Work in the Metaverse22 June 2022
With remote working becoming the ‘new norm’, attention now turns to the future of work 3.0 – work in the metaverse.
Managing an International Workforce conference - Fully booked16 June 2022
Lewis Silkin’s Managing an International Workforce conference provides a long-awaited (and in-person) opportunity to catch up with your peers, hear the latest from employment lawyers from around the world and find out what’s on the international employment law horizon.
Employment Law Academy13 June 2022
Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
Protecting your business: Restrictive covenant issues for advertising agencies08 June 2022
Protecting your Agency from competitive threats is vital. Losing a team or a key employee to a competitor can be extremely damaging - you may lose clients, prospects and other valuable staff as a result and your confidential information may be put at risk.
Data Protection and Employment18 May 2022
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a European legislation affecting all organisations that hold personal data on living individuals. It aims to ensure that organisations using and processing personal data do so fairly and lawfully and gives a number of rights to individuals in terms of how they can access their data and influence its use.
Ethnicity pay gap reporting and intersectionality17 May 2022
The government has said that ethnicity pay gap reporting won’t be mandatory, but many employers are choosing to do it anyway, adding ethnicity pay gap reporting to their existing obligation to report gender pay gaps each year. But what about the intersection of ethnicity AND gender?
Offering employment to refugees from Ukraine12 May 2022
According to the UNHCR, one of the key contributors to refugee integration is meaningful employment - enabling self-sufficiency and social connections. The Government is now running three immigration schemes for people arriving in the UK from Ukraine, and this week has shed a little more light on how these tie in with access to the labour market.