Employment is a central focus of our business, with over 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius Laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin and Belfast offices.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- Chambers and Legal 500 have rated us as a Tier 1 practice for over a decade and this year name 21 of our partners as “leaders in their field”. Legal 500 named us “HR Law Firm of the Year” in their 2020 awards.
- Who’s Who Legal named us “Global Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions” for two years running. 15 of our lawyers are currently ranked in Who’s Who - substantially more than any other firm in the UK.
- “Lewis Silkin operate at the highest level of employment law expertise and undertake many cutting-edge cases. There are few solicitors’ firms which attain such high analytical standards and show such in-depth legal knowledge.” (Legal 500 2021)
- “An employment practice in terms of strength and depth of quality of team they are just unrivalled; for any issue they have an expert who’s dealt with it already, and the finished product is always very good.” (Chambers 2021)
- “The team is exceptionally efficient, always keen to meet deadlines and really tailors the advice they offer to the individual needs of the client.” (Legal 500 2021 - Wales)
- “Great commercial advice in employment matters. Very customer focused and delivery orientated.” (Legal 500 2021 - Thames Valley)
- “Their level of expertise is excellent, they have great judgement, market-wide knowledge, and the quality of lawyers is absolutely first-rate.” (Chambers 2020)
- “The firm has a deep knowledge of all matters related to employment law and is dedicated to client service.” (Chambers 2020)
- “They have a great culture and a great match of skills and personalities. Their work is always of the highest calibre.”(Chambers 2020 - Wales)
- “The team is highly responsive, knowledgeable but importantly practical when assessing technical risk vs practical reality” (Legal 500 2019)
- “The team at Lewis Silkin are exceptional lawyers, who go above and beyond for a client and always make themselves available. They completely understand the nature of the client’s work and give appropriate tailored advice, taking on board the preferred outcomes and commercial solution to employment issues.” (Legal 500 2019 - Thames Valley)
- “They are a very strong team and they are extremely cost-effective.” (Chambers 2019)
Mock Employment Tribunal - FULLY BOOKED09 December 2021
Employment Tribunal claims have increased during the pandemic, and many hearings are now taking place entirely online
Employment Law Academy - 15, 16, 22 and 23 November 202115 November 2021
Our Employment Law Academy enables you to develop your skills and focus on key day-to-day areas of HR and in depth. Our online academy has been adapted to run over four half-days to provide you with the same great content and with an emphasis on the practical application of the topics outlined below.
Lewis Silkin recognised with top rankings in Chambers UK 2022 for Employment, Media and Entertainment: Advertising and Marketing, and Intellectual Property: Law Firms with Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys21 October 2021
Lewis Silkin’s performance in the sector continues to improve following a strong performance in Legal 500, earning 69 individual and practice rankings – of which 6 are top tier practice rankings and 5 are new entries or improvements.
Ireland: cautious approach to reopening workplaces continues20 October 2021
The Irish government has advised against a large-scale return to the workplace but rather is continuing with its encouragement of a “phased and cautious” return for specific business requirements.
Barking mad? Why pets-at-work policies can stem the workforce exodus - Sophie Jamieson and Vince Toman comment for International Employment Lawyer14 October 2021
The Great Resignation is not a complicated phenomenon to understand. After more than 18 months of lockdowns and remote working, millennial and Gen-Z employees, in particular, have realised that financial incentives alone are not enough to keep them in jobs they do not enjoy, working for employers they do not like or whose values they do not share.
Adoption and employment law14 October 2021
Our article rounds up the key employment law rights applicable to adoptive parents ahead of National Adoption Week, which takes place next week from 18-23 October.
Gender pay gap reporting - analysing the 2020 results13 October 2021
Employers had until 5 October 2021 to publish their gender pay gap statistics relating to April 2020. What have we learned from the results?
Managing your workforce across NI and RoI12 October 2021
Please join us on 12 October for our webinar on how to deal with the challenges that arise in managing employees who work on both sides of the border between Ireland /Northern Ireland (often in the same team) including: