US & the Americas
Through a combination of our expert desks and our tried and tested strategic alliances and other close relationships with law firms across North America, we can leverage our in-depth market and sector knowledge, to provide market-leading legal services across the continent.
We have extensive experience of advising US-based corporates on the acquisition and disposal of companies and businesses in the UK and around the world. Clients include publicly-listed corporations, private equity-backed businesses and closely-held family businesses all across the US and Canada, and recent transactions have involved sectors including high-value manufacturing and software and data businesses. The experience built up over many years enables us to advise North American clients not only on the UK legal aspects, but on the surprising differences that can arise between deal practice in the UK and Europe as compared to the US and Canada.
Our experience in the region includes advising:
- Harbour Group, a privately-owned diverse manufacturing business based in Missouri, USA on its sale of an omni-channel gaming provider, advising on the due diligence process and negotiation of the sale and purchase documentation
- John Bean Technologies Corporation, a NYSE-listed multinational manufacturer, on the acquisition of Autocoding UK and its US and Australian subsidiaries
- Spark44, the agency established by Jaguar Land Rover, on their contracts with Ben Kingsley, Mark Strong and Tom Hiddleston for the launch of the Jaguar F-Type, which broke during the Super Bowl collaborating with Gala company Frankfurt Kurnit, Klein & Selz
- A pharmaceutical company, alongside a US law firm, on changes to its senior executive team's terms and conditions of employment and share scheme benefits in preparation for a NASDAQ listing
- Xact Data Discovery, Inc., A private-equity owned litigation support services business based in Kansas, on acquisitions of IT and advisory companies in the UK
UK M&A deal practice – an introduction for US-based buyers22 April 2021
We continue to see a lot of mid-market M&A activity in the UK driven by US-based buyers, including both corporate buyers and financial investors. Unsurprisingly, that activity is largely focused on sectors which have remained buoyant throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, such as technology, creative and high-value manufacturing businesses.
Lewis Silkin advises NYSE listed JBT Corporation on its acquisition of AutoCoding Systems for $17M02 March 2021
Lewis Silkin has advised JBT Corporation, a NYSE listed global technology solutions provider to high-value segments of the food and beverage industry, on its acquisition of Autocoding Systems, a leading provider of software solutions for the automated set-up and control of end-of-line packaging devices