I advise national and international businesses on a broad range of commercial disputes with a particular focus on the professional services sector.
I work closely with clients to develop appropriate and effective strategies to progress and resolve disputes in a timely and cost effective manner taking into account each client’s priorities and objectives.
I am a member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners, the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Young International Arbitration Group of the LCIA. I have higher rights of audience (civil) and have represented clients in applications made before the Interim Applications Court (High Court) and in the county courts.
I advise businesses, directors and shareholders on a range of complex contract disputes including claims arising out of corporate transactions and in relation to conduct issues such as breach of fiduciary duties. I also frequently advise clients in relation to claims concerning allegations of professional negligence and misrepresentation.
In addition to assisting clients with disputes proceeding in the High Court and Court of Appeal, I also advise clients in relation to the institution and progression of arbitration including those conducted underthe LCIA, ICC and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
My recent disputes work includes:
- Advising a cloud technology and hosting provider on a team move and breach of restrictive covenant dispute commencing with an urgent interim injunction and proceeding as an expedited matter in the High Court. Assisting the client in successfully resisting an appeal of the injunction granted by the High Court in the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for an international construction contractor in an ICC arbitration successfully defending against claims valued at over €300 million arising out of the construction of a gas pipeline.
- Acting for a multinational telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration concerning claims arising out of the construction and maintenance of telecommunication towers in an EU member state.
- Acting for a large European mining company in an LCIA arbitration concerning breach of warranty claims and the reconciliation of post-completion accounts. Also advising on related High Court proceedings seeking enforcement of provisions of the underlying Share Purchase Agreement and the successful challenge of an order obtained against the client in the Court of Appeal.
Partnerships & LLPs
I advise a variety of businesses and individuals in different sectors on contentious matters arising in relation to limited liability partnerships (LLPs) and limited partnerships (LPs). I act for individual partners, advising on their duties and obligations arising out of partnership agreements, and also have experience acting for both individual partners and Management Committees / Managing Partners advising on matters such as retirement and expulsions, restrictive covenants and partnerconduct.
I advise businesses and individuals in the professional services sector with a particular focus on, and experience in, the legal and accountancy professions.
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2022 (Partnership) - ‘Frances Simm is a fantastic associate. She is really bright and great with clients, hugely efficient and wonderful to have on the team‘