Employment is a central focus of our business, with over 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin office.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- Chambers and Legal 500 have rated us as a Tier 1 practice for over a decade and this year name 21 of our partners as “leaders in their field”. Legal 500 named us “HR Law Firm of the Year” in their 2020 awards.
- Who’s Who Legal named us “Global Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions” for two years running. 15 of our lawyers are currently ranked in Who’s Who - substantially more than any other firm in the UK.
- “Lewis Silkin operate at the highest level of employment law expertise and undertake many cutting-edge cases. There are few solicitors’ firms which attain such high analytical standards and show such in-depth legal knowledge.” (Legal 500 2021)
- “An employment practice in terms of strength and depth of quality of team they are just unrivalled; for any issue they have an expert who’s dealt with it already, and the finished product is always very good.” (Chambers 2021)
- “The team is exceptionally efficient, always keen to meet deadlines and really tailors the advice they offer to the individual needs of the client.” (Legal 500 2021 - Wales)
- “Great commercial advice in employment matters. Very customer focused and delivery orientated.” (Legal 500 2021 - Thames Valley)
- “Their level of expertise is excellent, they have great judgement, market-wide knowledge, and the quality of lawyers is absolutely first-rate.” (Chambers 2020)
- “The firm has a deep knowledge of all matters related to employment law and is dedicated to client service.” (Chambers 2020)
- “They have a great culture and a great match of skills and personalities. Their work is always of the highest calibre.”(Chambers 2020 - Wales)
- “The team is highly responsive, knowledgeable but importantly practical when assessing technical risk vs practical reality” (Legal 500 2019)
- “The team at Lewis Silkin are exceptional lawyers, who go above and beyond for a client and always make themselves available. They completely understand the nature of the client’s work and give appropriate tailored advice, taking on board the preferred outcomes and commercial solution to employment issues.” (Legal 500 2019 - Thames Valley)
- “They are a very strong team and they are extremely cost-effective.” (Chambers 2019)
Managing an International Workforce conference16 June 2021
We’re moving our market leading Managing an International Workforce conference, attended each year by over 300 delegates from around the world, from February to June next year.
APAC: Round up of employment law13 May 2021
We’ll look at the latest developments in employment law across the Asia Pacific region as well as looking to what’s on the horizon for the year ahead.
EMEA roundtable18 March 2021
Our virtual roundtable gives practitioners with EMEA wide responsibilities the opportunity to discuss and share views on hot topics, with input from our Ius Laboris colleagues.
The world of employment law: a year in review04 February 2021
Despite not being able to gather in person for our 17th annual Managing an International Workforce conference, we will still be presenting our highly rated annual round up of key developments in global employment law in a virtual format on 4 February.
Siobhra Rush discusses Irelands’ first National Remote Work Strategy on Classis Hits Radio Ireland25 January 2021
New laws allowing employees to “work from home” will change working life forever. The Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has published Ireland’s first National Remote Work Strategy to make this a permanent option for life after Covid. So can your employer refuse a request to work from home? Trina Mara speaks to Síobhra Rush.
Accent discrimination, codeswitching and the Equality Act21 January 2021
A recent French law has banned discrimination against someone because of their regional accent. This article examines the UK legal position in relation to accent discrimination and goes on to consider the related issue of “codeswitching” and its potential negative impacts.
IR35 reforms and international issues21 January 2021
The new IR35 rules create some particularly complex issues where a contractor is based outside the UK. This article looks at some of the frequently asked questions.
IR35 reforms from April 202120 January 2021
The proposed IR35 reforms for the private sector, now planned to take effect from April 2021, represent the biggest change to employment tax for decades.