IP360: Recent developments in IP, and what’s coming – what you need to know
- 23 May 2022
- Monday 23rd May (4pm - 5pm) and Tuesday 24th May (4pm - 5pm)
Submit your details to request event materials
We are delighted to bring you this two part series to discuss some key areas of the current IP landscape, and what we expect to see in 2022.
23 May: The Metaverse, NFTs and Database rights
- Many trademark and copyright issues have arisen since the emergence of the Metaverse and non-fungible tokens (NFTs), which we will discuss alongside the effects on database rights post-Brexit.
- Since NFTs blew up in 2021, brand owners of consumer and luxury goods are responding to NFTs and digital replica opportunities. We will delve into the opportunities and potential pitfalls which may await them.
- We will also talk about how databases may still be protected by intellectual property rights, in particular following the UK / EU divergence.
24 May: Patents, AI and Designs
- This year we expect the long-awaited EU Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court to come in to force – will this be successful in delivering simplified and more efficient judicial procedures? Should you opt-in or -out? Find out more in this session.
- We will discuss Artificial Intelligence (AI) – can a computer be an “inventor” for the purposes of applying for a patent? We will also review the UK IPO consultation on AI and IP, and the EU draft Artificial Intelligence Regulation.
- Finally, we will talk about copyright in designs – is UK law out of step with the CJEU rulings in Cofemel and Brompton Bicycle, and what are the likely consequences? Plus, the UK IPO “Call for Views” on the overall framework for design protection.
Please feel free to sign up to either, or both events.
If you have any queries, or a colleague who would like to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.